Plywood with Stitching?

Hi,
We're remodeling and the old flooring (lino and carpeting) has been taken up to install hardwood. I noticed many of the 4'x 8' x 3/16" underlayment plywood has lines of stitching. Yes, stitching, which goes through to both sides, and is made of nylon or cotton multi-strand thread.
What is this? I've never seen it before.
TIA
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:12:47 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:

Very common in boatbuilding to stitch plywood then epoxy over, but I've not seen it on a floor.

I've never seen plywood underlayment stitched, but "fingerjointed hardwood "or "fingerjointed parquet" is often stitched with nylon cord.
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:55:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What's the purpose of this? Doesn't the glue hold it together.

Same question?

Does "self jigging" ring any bells???
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:23:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No but I looked it up. Was the stitching put in before the glue set?

In the fingerjoint flooring and in boat building - most definitely. In boat building, the whole boat gets stitched together before any gluing/resin application . The stitching holds everything in position for gluing AND it re-enforces the glue joint.
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:40:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Very interesting. It's a good thing I learned this before I built my boat.