Plywood & Screws

About to install a new cooktop into an existing "hole" in the counter top.

Counter-top is a cheapish laminate over the top of plywood. To install the cooktop, I have to use woodscrews, as I can't find a cooktop that fits the cutout in the countertop.

Anyway, hope to do that this afternoon, but it just occured to me that I will be drilling pilot holes and then installing the woodscrews into the "ends" or edges of the plywood....if that makes sense...in other words, sort of between the layers of the plywood itself.

So, now I am worried about ruining the plywood (causing it to "swell- up" or crack or something).

Is this a legitimate concern...Any way to minimize the problem -- if there is one?

Reply to
timbirr

Uhm... Screws into the edge of plywood won't be very strong. You aren't going to "hang" the new cooktop on these, are you?

Reply to
Noozer

Yes, it is a legitimate concern. Normally a recessed fixture is fastened from the bottom. Are you missing retaining clips by any chance?

RicodJour

The cooktop edges rest OK on the countertop, so it is being held up by the countertop without any clips or screws at all, but it slides around a lot. The cooktop kit says to install four wood screws (not included) all around the each side of the cooktop to keep it in place where you want it.

Then they tell you to install the retaining clips included in the "cooktop package," which screw into the bottom of the counter top and hook into the bottom of the cooking unit.But the instructions say....and I need to also, put in the woodscrews first.

Here's the text from the instructions:

Set the cooktop into the countertop cutout. NOTE: Do not use caulking compound;

Models: 26" and 36" (36"X18") Coil Elements Cooktops Set the cooktop into the contertop cutout. Lift the cooktop and fasten the ends of the box to the counter with wood screws (figure 11). Lower the cooktop. Align the knobs on the shafts and press down with even pressure. After setting the unit into the opening, all remaining work must be done from inside the cabinet.

And, a link to the PDF with the manual (Page 5 is the relevant page, and it's Step #2 (26" and 36" coil elements cooktops): ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Lassomption/318201410.pdf

Reply to
timbirr

cooktops):ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Lassomption/318201410.pdf

Those screws do very little work. Basically they're there to keep the thing from sliding around while you fasten the retaining clips. Use small screws and drill pilot holes and you'll be fine.

RicodJour

cooktops):ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Lassomption/318201410.pdf

Those screws do very little work. They're there to keep the cooktop from sliding around while you fasten the retaining clips. Use small screws, drill pilot holes and you'll be fine.

RicodJour

cooktops):ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Lassomption/318201410.pdf

THANKS!

I was hoping it might be just that simple....

Reply to
timbirr