Plywood prices

Seen the prices lately? I'm told that there is a lot of it going for reconstruction in Iraq, causing a shortage. And Japan pulling the Western lumber right out onto the boats at premium prices. Anybody know the straight info?

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Newsreports 6 months ago blamed rebuilding in Iraq.

Reply to
Art

News reports indicate that defense-related contracts (mostly contractors supplying troops -- tents, latrines, etc -- rather than rebuilding) are soaking up 10-15% of all US mill output. Because it's temporary, there's no incentive for the industry to increase capacity, so smaller retail and homebuilder operations are getting squeezed. The big box stores have an easier time dictating prices, though, so you may have to look there to get the best price.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

It's your government spending your money like water. Do you hear the loud sucking sound? I wonder why Iraqi oil could not buy this ply.

Reply to
Phisherman

Same as the gas prices. We are all paying for Bush's war, like it or not. Whether it's plywood, oil products, or steel. It's all going to Iraq.

Reply to
spamfree