plywood for attic storage

I have a coworker who is putting down plywood in his attic for general storage use. The joists are 16" on center and he was thinking of using 1/2" ply Is this sufficient or should he use 3/4" ply?
Chris

I'd say 1/2" is fine. 3/4 is used for subfloors -to hold furniture and people.
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

But he will be on it to move things around. I find it a little un-nerving to walk on 1/2". Even the 5/8" I used makes me be more careful then I probably need to. Just don't like that 'sinking' feeling as you walk across it.
Chris wrote:

I'd say the first question is whether or not the existing joists can handle the load of the plywood, storage and someone walking around accessing the storage. Then comes the question about local codes.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Yep, that was my first thought, how strong are the joists and can they stand the extra load.
Harry K
I Agree 100% with previous replies, but in general people do this all the time. That said, I wouldn't store a PIANO or a load of BRICKS in the attic, NOR would I store things that don't like heat (like candles, christmas decorations, plastic stuff, etc) since summers will bake anything up there for long period of time, discoloring nearly everything man-made.
Mark

accessing

Plywood and OSB are span rated and come marked for spans. TB

Thank you all for your replies. I have forwarded your information and concerns.
Chris