plywood for attic storage

I have a coworker who is putting down plywood in his attic for general storage use. The joists are 16" on center and he was thinking of using

1/2" ply Is this sufficient or should he use 3/4" ply?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'd say 1/2" is fine. 3/4 is used for subfloors -to hold furniture and people.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

But he will be on it to move things around. I find it a little un-nerving to walk on 1/2". Even the 5/8" I used makes me be more careful then I probably need to. Just don't like that 'sinking' feeling as you walk across it.

Reply to
Retiredff

I'd say the first question is whether or not the existing joists can handle the load of the plywood, storage and someone walking around accessing the storage. Then comes the question about local codes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Plywood and OSB are span rated and come marked for spans. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Yep, that was my first thought, how strong are the joists and can they stand the extra load.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
Mark Harris

Chris wrote in news:Xns949553C6C7666zysmithyahoocom@199.184.165.245:

Thank you all for your replies. I have forwarded your information and concerns.

Chris

Reply to
Chris