plunger-type tub drain stuck closed

Hi, I have a problem with my tub. We have not used this tub in about 6 months and I just found out the lever on the drain is stuck in the up/closed position, meaning that water will not drain out of the tub. I can't push the lever down to make it drain. I looked at lowes.com and it looks like I have a plunger-type drain. I tried removing the faceplate and spraying a bunch of WD-40 down the rod, but it still doesn't move and I can't seem to remove the assembly from the tub; the linkage and plunger will not budge. Is there anything else I can try before I have to call a plumber?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/wasteoverflowparts.html
The whole assembly is called a "waste and overflow". The lift rod pulls a brass plug/stopper/plunger/bucket up from a machined seat in the "TEE" section.
It's a pretty tight fit in there to begin with so that water can't leak past. After 6 months idle, the gunk has solidified and corroded parts together.
If you have access to the rear of the tub, you *may* be able to disconnect the overflow tube from the TEE to get to the plug better.
You can try to pull the lift wire up, but chances are something will break. In that event, you'll need a very strong wire with hook on the end to "fish" for the brass plug.
Maybe beat on the TEE with small hammer in hopes of breaking it loose while helper pulls on the rod.
Pour acid down overflow and hope....?
Those are the things the plumber will do.
Jim
try drain cleaner down the overflow, cant hurt, but do warn a plumber if it fails
I have removed stuck buckes with a carfully bent clothes hanger. I hook it around the bar in the center of the bucket (this can be hard) and pull. I will use a vise grip on the wire, grip the wire inside the overflow and use the side of the tub or overflow as a leverage point against the vise grips.