Plumming nightmare

The kitchen and bathroom share a wall. The drain beneath the kitchen sink (double sink; one side with disposal and dishwasher) goes into the wall it shares with the shower. When we run the sink (especially with the disposal on), the filthy water comes up from the drain in the tub.
The tub drains mostly fine, though it has had it's problems in the past. But the dishwasher doesn't clean as well as it should, and I wonder if it's backing up inside.
I have tried running a hand-crank snake down the tub, but this hasn't helped much except to make the tub drain better.
--

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent. Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain all that well.
Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves from a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches in your vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.
wrote in message

Hey...he's from down South, where they have Nookular power plants.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hey, I'm from down South. What's this plumbing stuff yall are talkin' bout?

"American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!"
(from a long line of gentle breading) -- Oren
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:03:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

When a noolecule... (I forget the rest)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You should have kept it going and said he needs to hire a "plummer". ;-)
When the toilet is flushed does it bubble, or maybe suck air thru the tub drain? (that would indicate that the vent is clogged). This sounds more like a common drain line is clogged.
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Pardon me!
Of course I mean "plumbing".
--

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida

Sum times the spell chequer does not work. automatically when you hit the send button.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:55:33 -0400, "Dana John Hill"

Check the vent pipe, make sure the disposal drain pipe is positioned correctly, for the dishwasher (machine) check the overflow vent and position of the hoses under the sink.
Go Gators !! -- Oren
Dana John Hill wrote:

The vent may be the problem as others have said but I suspect you have a partially clogged drain. The hand-crank snake improved the tub drain somewhat so... Whatever is causing your poor drainage problem is most likely also causing the poor dishwasher performance.
By all means check the vent first, cheapest and easiest, but prepare for a rotorooter job.
Harry K

Septic or city sewer? Could be a sewer pipe is partially clogged (for either), or your septic (if you have one) is filled and needs to be pumped.