Plumbing with Cinnamon

I was installing a bathroom sink drain assembly recently. Due to the sink material, I couldn't use putty under the drain flange. I didn't feel like using silicone under it, partly because any leak would just flow into the drain chamber and really only prevent the sink from maintaining a steady basin of water with the stopper engaged. Also, if I needed to change the drain assembly out, it'd be easier not to have something clinging under the flange.
So, I sprinkled some ground cinnamon around the wet flange, and all leaking ceased instantly. It was somewhat amusing.
I'm sure calcium in the water will further infiltrate the cinnamon seal with time.

Whats it made of gold? It will be amusing when you have to take it apart to do it right.

What's made of gold? The sink? The flange? Why does it matter?
It's working. And even in the unlikely event that a leak reappears... so what? I hardly ever need to soak something in a basin of water. And the nature of the possible leak doesn't create any mess. Any water goes down the drain.
I might have to reapply the cinnamon or smear some other sealer around the edge of the flang if I really wanted to. Not a biggie, and not very likely.

Try cornstarch next time, mixed with Vanilla extract.
mike wrote:

How did that go again? It's a dessert topping and a floor wax!
mike wrote:

Hmm, Guess saw dust would do the same but being organic material it'll rot away ooner or later. I used a Silicon gasket and it did the job.

I have installed one that come with a gasket for the flange. A picky person might object to the thickness making the flange stand a little proud. The manufacturer could have used a thinner gasket, unless they were worried about damage during packing, unpacking,etc.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Did you make your own "silicon" gasket? What temperature did it take to grow the silicon crystal? *snicker*
TDD