Plumbing vent roof flashing seal shot, just slide a new one on top?

I'm a handyman and replacing the plumbing vent roof flashing is a common job. In the past I have removed the fewest possible number of surrounding shingles, removed the old flashing and installed a new one, and replaced the shingles. I could save the customer money if I could just slide a new flashing over the old one. Would that be considered bad practice in your opinion?
We sent a man to the moon but we don't have vent flashings that last as long as the roof, what is up with that?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Add pictures here
✖

Out for a quick buck, eh?
You asked a really hack question, so we know you don't have a clue about flashing. Exactly how do you purpose to work the flashing on the new "plumbing vent stack", without removing any shingles? BTW, the term is soil stack.
Buy a quality soil stack flashing, and you won't have problems. I have yet to see a quality one fail.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 20, 9:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, it would not be bad practice in my _opinion_, it would be bad practice as a statement of fact.
Back in the day of 15 to 20 year 3-tab roofing, the aluminum vent flashing lasted as long as the roof and was replaced when the roof was reroofed. Back in the days before those days, the roof vent flashing was either copper or lead and lasted a long, long time. Only fitting when the roofing is slate, tile or other long-lived roofing.
If you are suggesting there is a need for a better quality vent flashing boot, I agree. Copper is "too expensive" for most, but it would be money well spent, considering. Stainless steel is a good alternative, but it is not as malleable and would probably be more finicky during installation.

✖

No one on the moon recently... Now they are shooting for going to Mars without actually testing the systems out first on the moon where the astronauts could possibly be rescued if some sort of issue happens due to landing hard or something and a system fails...
Waste of money if you ask me...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

There is no try. Do or do not. - Yoda

Luckily they didn't. :) Mars would be an easier place to build a long term base....once they get there. They've already figured out how to generate power and oxygen on Mars, and the gravity being close to Earth's would enable people to live there for extended periods without their bodies deteriorating.
We need a backup planet in the event we totally fuck up this one.
✖
On 9/20/2011 8:00 PM, Evan wrote:

I'm no fan of this retro super-apollo game plan they have, and given the current economy, I'll be really surprised if it gets funded. Yes, the shuttle program was flawed, and wasted a lot of money, but at least it was a step in the direction of reusable spacecraft. The monster they propose is headed the wrong direction. IMHO, maybe the cost-bennies work out better to use disposables for cargo lift, but they NEED a 'space plane' to get humans into orbit. Space will never pay for itself without it.
I'll be very surprised if humans make it above the orbit of the ISS in my lifetime, and I hope they manage to keep ISS manned until I am gone. Seeing humankind walk away from space just depresses the hell out of me.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
RicodJour wrote the following:

Alice Kramden.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
I'm a handyman and replacing the plumbing vent roof flashing is a common job. In the past I have removed the fewest possible number of surrounding shingles, removed the old flashing and installed a new one, and replaced the shingles. I could save the customer money if I could just slide a new flashing over the old one. Would that be considered bad practice in your opinion?
We sent a man to the moon but we don't have vent flashings that last as long as the roof, what is up with that?
Thanks for your thoughts!
**start reply
The hack creation has already been invented and can be found on the roofing aisle at Lowes. Price is $20.
It is a plastic version of the old lead type. It fits over the existing one, comes up, over and into the vent pipe.
Looks like it should work where there are no slow melting snow loads.
--
Colbyt
✖