Plumbing vent height?

A home inspection was done on my home in preparation for a sale. The inspector reported "the plumbing vent does not have adequate clearance from the fascia and should be repaired."

The vent pipe is about 4 feet from the edge of the roof. It is a metal pipe just under 3" OD. It rises about 10 inches from the roof. The peak of the roof is about 12 feet away and about 2-3 feet above the top of the pipe.

My home was built in 1965. Is there a good reason why the vent pipe should be extended? If so, how high?

PaulF

Reply to
Paul Ferguson

Huh? 4' from the fascia and 10" above the roof surface sounds reasonable to me, unless your local code is really strange.

Did you contact the inspector as to what he thought should be repaired? If nothing else "does not have adequate clearance to fascia" doesn't sound like something that could be "repaired" by extending the vent pipe.

Reply to
Andy Hill

I did not contact the inspector. I think height was his concern. He mentioned that being low might be responsible for a slow running drain. I was not the cause -- I fixed the drain. I think by "being too close to the fascia" he was really saying it was too low and should be higher up the roof.

I will answer this item by explaining that I do not think it is a problem. If the buyers wants to pursue it, they can ask the inspector to explain its importance.

Thanks for your help.

PaulF

Reply to
Paul Ferguson

Anything that has worked perfectly for 40 years should be changed.

I'd tell the inspector to xxxx off. Just my opinion, but that is not even a negotiating point with the buyer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The International Residential Code & Plumbing Code leave the distance to roof edge and distance above roof to local authorities. I'd check with local plumber or code official.

Architect across the street was given what he describes as a multipage list of inspection items by a prospective buyer. He told them it was being sold "as is". The buyer caved in.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

What in the hell would vent height have to do with a slow drain? Proof the home inspector is an idiot! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

It sort of sounds to me like he was thinking of requirements for a chimney instead of a plumbing vent.

A plumbing vent only needs to be open to the outside atmosphere a minimum height (something like a couple of feet) above the highest flood line for fixtures it serves.

A chimney needs to be high enough so that passing air causes a low pressure up draft in order to draw flue gasses up and out. Typically, if its top is not sufficiently high enough above the roof surface, the peak of the roof will shelter it from winds in some directions and prevent it from functioning properly.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

I recall that in some heavy snow areas it must be higher than that.

Other factors get involved also http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:OwK-qHH0ILsJ:

Each vent shall terminate not less than ten(10) feet (3048 mm) from, or at least three (3) feet (914mm) above any openable window, door, opening, airintake, or vent shaft, nor less than three (3) feet (914mm) in every direction from any lot line; alley andstreet excepted906.2 Each vent shall terminate not less than ten(10) feet (3048 mm) from, or at least three (3) feet (914mm) above any openable window, door, opening, airintake, or vent shaft, nor less than three (3) feet (914mm) in every direction from any lot line; alley andstreet excepted

906.2 Each vent shall terminate not less than ten(10) feet (3048 mm) from, or at least three (3) feet (914mm) above any openable window, door, opening, airintake, or vent shaft, nor less than three (3) feet (914mm) in every direction from any lot line; alley andstreet exceptedCheck your local code, of course.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski