plumbing standards

Hi All,
Today I spent 15 minutes fixing a bathtub faucet -- but I spent over 2 hours looking for proprietary parts. Does the lack of plumbing standards seem particularly absurd to anyone else?
I'm wondering what it would take to force some standards on this out of control industry?
Plumbing fittings have standards, however faucets and other fixtures used in bathrooms and kitchens are all about style, fashion, colour and look just the same as cars. Do you think that you can find a standard car steering wheel. No, you must replace one with the same brand and model as the original manufacturer designed for that car. The biggest peeve that I have with faucets and many other items used in houses, is that the manufacturer does not always identify the fact that they made them. While I don't like to see the manufacturer's logo or name emblazoned on a faucet, I would appreciate their name in a inconspicuous location, so I know where to go for parts.

That stands about the same chance as making Microsoft market bug-free sensibly priced software. Sad.
Joe
Jeff Morgan wrote:

Packing is packing and faucet washers are faucet washers I've always found. They don't have to be exact to work. What else do you need to change unless you want to change the whole thing? Try the internet. One time I found some new stems on line for a mongrel faucet I bought at Home Depot. The person's pipes froze and broke the stem so the faucet always dripped.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

buffalo ny: sometimes the older pre-legislation faucets give more needed flow with larger inside diameters [as opposed to water saving flow restriction design that is rated for 60 to 80 psi and higher.] this older design is still needed in lower pounds per square inch city areas [mine is 42PSI] and in non-city-water systems that are gravity fed. look for NOS [new old stock] fixtures on ebay if this is your problem similar to mine. the patience you learn in plumbing repairs arrives after a dripless 24 hour revisit to the problem.

While you re at it, get the automotive industry to "get by" with just 4 different types of:
AIR FILTERS OIL FILTERS SPARK PLUGS BRAKE DISCS BRAKE PADS
etc etc