Plumbing: shower hot or cold--not warm

My girlfriend just moved into a new apartment. The apartment is an older unit, and the shower is either scalding hot or freezing cold. It takes about two minutes to adjust it to get a nice temperature, and then if you look at it wrong you are suddenly being scalded or pelted with freezing water.

Is there any way to control this problem without tearing up the wall and putting a new faucet in? Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
UF Scott

Check with your local plumbing supply house. Without having to change the valve since this is an apartment there is a shower head that can be purchased that is a scald guard. This won't eliminate the sudden arctic blast - but will help avoid dangerous burns. This is often a common problem in apartments that have a central boiler unit for the entire complex with a circulating line. Do you happen to know if she has her own water heater? Also - has she reported this to the manager and what were their comments (since scalding is a health issue?)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I suspect it is a central boiler unit, since I searched all the utility closets, and didn't find any water heaters in the apt. Talking to the landlord is probably next on the list. Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
UF Scott