Plumbing set up for washer

I'm planning on installing a washer/dryer in a small room in my house. It's all set up in terms of h/c water spigots, dryer vent, and appropriate electrical supply. I need help on washer waste water disposal. There is a clack PVC waste water pipe available, located about 4" off the floor, currently plugged with a threaded nut. I think it is either 2" or 2 1/2" in diameter. I don't think there is a P-trap yet on the line. Is there some standard way to install an appropriate drain? I assume I should bring the pipe up off the floor with some vertical 2" PVC black pipe, install a P-trap, and then just leave a vertical section of pipe open, into which I place the washer discharge nozzle. It will sit against the sheetrock, appear unfinished and sloppy, but will be hidden by the washer. Short of ripping up the sheetrock and putting the pipes between the studs (an option I'd rather not consider, to say nothing of the 1/2" plywood shear wall under the sheetrock), how would a professional install this?

Reply to
JFCBAS

From an utterly logical standpoint, ask one. From what you have described the performance of your drain could be dubious at best for the washer discharge. You likely need a lower level p- or s-trap and above all connection to a proper vent. Getting this done by a competent plumber can save you a bunch of problems later and won't be as much of a budget buster as you think. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

In our case, there's a trap where that pipe goes into the main septic pipe: does yours have one where it meets the main pipe, city or septic, whichever it is? If so, no trap needed. I just added a vertical piece of pipe, about three feet, maybe a little longer. Then stop by the local hardware store and get an air relief valve for a washer waste pipe; they're cheap, and can be taken apart to clean if needed. Never had to in over ten years, so dunno if ours would still come apart, but ... You MUST have that relief valve, OR a vent pipe that goes up thru the ceiling and out above the roof - is it already there maybe? If you don't have either of those, you WILL end up siphoning water out of your washing machine, and after the first empty, you'll be washing without water at times. Frustrating to find out after the fact. If you don't already have that stand pipe, then the relief valve is the thing to use - it just lets air into the drain pipe so it won't try to siphon your washer. It should be within 3 feet of the washer. Someone will probably tell you they can leak, which I suppose is possible, but never had it happen here. It's just a one-way valve that lets air in but is checked so nothing can come out in case any pressure builds up in it. So, no air from inside the pipe ever gets into the room. And, the valves are less than $10 last I noticed.

Pop

"JFCBAS" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m23.aol.com...

in my house. It's

appropriate