plumbing runs

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 5:30:59 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

its always best to do a job right the first time, than do a half way job then be forced to do it again. redos cost tons more.......
I woud run PEX lines directly from the meter, and upgrade around te hot water tank to mimize issues down the road. even at resale time many years from now a smart home inspector could catch the issue costig you big bucks, and perhaps even a home sale......
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 5:30:59 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

If you have 1/2" pipe serving the whole house, I'd bet that the regulator isn't the limiting factor. I've never seen one with 1/2" fittings and they typically size the fittings to accomodate the capacity of the device. Around here, typically you have 1" pipe coming in from the street, 3/4" pipe serving major/multiple points of use in the house, 1/2" branch offs for half baths, kitchen, laundry room, etc.
It seemed there was agreement here that if you do have 1/2" going everywhere, then the safest option is to replace it with 3/4" leaving the regulator, then one branch off to the new bath with either 1/2 or 3/4 and the other branch gets connected to the existing rest of the house. If the rest of the house heads over towards the new bath anyway, then just replace that section with 3/4". That gives you 3/4" most of the way to the new bath and leaves the rest of the house mostly better off too.
On 03/09/2015 11:28 PM, gregz wrote: ...

"HUGE?" is in the eye of the beholder, often. :) If it's "the way it always was" then don't have any reason to think otherwise.
I certainly wouldn't classify a 3/4" feed run to the reducing tee supply run "fancy piping"; it's pretty much a standard technique.
In particular, however, as noted before in the sidebar conversations, if this is the main feed and there's also DW (or may be in the future) or simply for resale value it can't hurt and surely can't be either very complicated to do or add much additional expense over the other to incorporate.