Plumbing Repiping design

I am about to embark on a repipe of old cast iron pipe that is about 90+ years old but as I examine and design I find both hot and cold pipes that run straight up into the attic which has nothing but bedrooms in it, the pipes of course end and are capped at the top. My question is were these pipes installed for possible furture growth of having water upstairs or are they for water pressure, flow or serve some other engineering function?
Probably future growth, Dont forget insulate all hot water.
Paul J wrote:

Mark's right about future growth.
They are more than likely galv iron, not cast. More importantly, 90 years ago, the Cold supply piping was often used for electrical grounding purposes-to ground switch/outlet boxes and lighting fixtures, especially in baths and kitchens.
If they did in this house, you will lose all those grounds when you abandon the old galv piping. Just a "heads up" so you can check into it now.
Jim
Obviously, the installer was storming drunk.
On 21 Feb 2004 11:29:04 -0800, paul snipped-for-privacy@bankone.com (Paul J) wrote:

They service the wash basin in the bedroom that got taken out years ago. And yes, you can remove them.
Jeff