Plumbing question: getting piece of broken pipe out of drain pipe

I started what I thought would be a ten minute job this morning of disconnecting my trap under my bathroom sink to clean it out so my basin would drain a little quicker. Well when I disconnected the tap the extension pipe broke off. I have another pipe to replace it but the part that broke off is still in the drain pipe. I don't know how to get the metal out that is covering the grooves. Usually you can do this with an ice pick but the metal is not corroded enough and I can't get any leverage from underneath. I tried to remove the whole piece but it seems like it's all one piece. I'm including pictures. I can't find a seam where these pieces disconnect from each other. There goes my Saturday...
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8035/dscf0571gg9.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4061/dscf0572le0.jpg
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/96/dscf0573ca1.jpg
Joe wrote:

The brass popup section is threaded into the chrome drain fitting on top. You'll probably hack the chrome if you try to unscrew it.
Part that broke off is a tailpiece that looks like:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/tubularthreadedtail.jpg
(threaded at one end)
Try pulling a fine-tooth hacksaw blade across the remaining part. You may not have to cut all the way thru to weaken it enough to pull it out.
Use Loctite to seal the threads of the new tailpiece; will work even if you do damage to the brass part.
Use silicone caulk (RTV) liberally on the old rubber gasket. On top, make a ring of plumbers putty to seal the chrom fitting to sink opening. Dry everything first with a hair dryer.
Jim
Thanks a lot Jim, especially for the hacksaw tip, it came out perfectly and the threads were intact. I put it all back together as instructed. I'll give it overnight to dry and check back tomorrow.