Plumbing question

Just when I thought our dream bathroom was looking so good I noticed a problem with the height of the shower head.
The shower head is 3 inches shorter than it is supposed to be. The contractor measured from the rough floor and forgot to take into account the tile height and the cement and tile that was added.
It is at 6' 4" and the one in our downstairs bathroom is 6' 7" which is a good height for me. I'm 6' 1". 6' 4" is not going to cut if for me without putting on one of those ridiculous looking extenders which I am not willing to do.
This really stinks because the bathroom was looking so good and he has been meticulous about everything and we really like him.
He told us he would take care of it but I'd like to get some feedback here as to what our options are to raise that rough opening height.
The shower is fully tiled now but they didn't do the grout yet. I would prefer if there was a way he can do it from the bathroom side by popping a few tiles out but I don't know what is involved in raising that pipe. Can it be cut and a new piece welded on to add a few inches? They would have to cut the wonder board as well. I'm just wondering how big an opening they would have to make or if it is even possible to do without opening a very large portion of the wall.
The only other option seems to be to bust the wall in my son’s bedroom and fix it from that side. Not something I would like to do but I guess we will do it if that is the only way to fix it.
I would appreciate any feedback from anyone knowledgeable in plumbing and tile work.
Thanks in advance, Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 20:26:14 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Easy to do. There are various ways to extend it. Add a new length of tubing or add three inches to the existing piece. The tile can be removed and possibly moved up one space if the measurement is close.
Rather than worry, let the skilled tradesmen do what they are good at doing and you will never know there was an error. This sort of thing happens and is fixed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Agree. It's trivial to extend the pipe once you have access. And taking out a few tiles, opening the wall, putting it back isn't a huge deal either. I'd probably do it from the shower side to avoid making a mess in the bedroom on the other side.
Add pictures here
βœ–

ALso, be there when the work is done so you can make sure they restore things properly. Knowing that someone is observing them will make the workers more likely to do their best effort. But, don't bug them, just observe.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes!!! We put a vertical bar up, and I can put the showerhead high and have it "rain" on me, while spouse likes it hot, massaging, and close. A stationary showerhead is sooo old-fashioned <grin>!!
--
Best regards
Han

Agree. Use one of those once and you'll never be satified with a fixed one!
Simple fix for the problem and he'll be even happier with his new bathroom.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
...The shower head is 3 inches shorter than it is supposed to be. The contractor measured from the rough floor and forgot to take into account the tile height and the cement and tile that was added.
It is at 6' 4" and the one in our downstairs bathroom is 6' 7" which is a good height for me. I'm 6' 1". 6' 4" is not going to cut if for me without putting on one of those ridiculous looking extenders which I am not willing to do.
...He told us he would take care of it but I'd like to get some feedback here as to what our options are to raise that rough opening height.
The shower is fully tiled now but they didn't do the grout yet.
============ Since your guy said he would fix it, it should be no problem. And, since the grout isn't done yet, it should be even easier for him to do it, and it can be done from the bathroom side.
Is the existing shower head coming out of the wall through the tiles or does it come out above the top of the tiles?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd keep it as is and install a shower head on a wand. One of the greatest shower inventions ever made.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–