Plumbing question

I want to tap into an existing cold water line in my garage. Without giving more explanation than necessary, I want to know if I can de- solder the bottom of a T connection without ruining the two straight connections across the top. In this case, the two parallel connections are 3/4 inch, and the connection I want to remove the pipe from is 1/2 inch. Can I wrap the joints I want to leave in place with a wet cloth? Is that even necessary? Thanks in advance for any help. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Assuming you can drain all the water from the lines/fitting, yes, you can desolder the 1/2" line.
If you cool the other 2 joints with wet cloth, it will take more heat/longer to desolder the 1/2". Trade off. Can the surrounding structure withstand all the heat? Place metal heat shield between the fitting and anything likely to burn.
Jim

It can be done but it is really tough to do. Some of the chemical coolers might work better than your wet cloth.
Cleaning that joint to reuse it is also a potential problem.
If there is any other way to do what you want I would explore those options first.
--
Colbyt
You're best off taking the t out and replacing it. After you clean all the solder off the pipes the best you can. And no , on the wet rag. You'll never get it hot on the third side if you have that rag heat sinking the heat away.

Thanks to all for the advice....I've decided to take out the fitting rather than try to reuse it.
On Mar 21, 8:25am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Never reuse copper fittings easiest way to get a split joint.