plumbing question

all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor supply is 3/4
we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower
if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get burned.
the cold water pressure and flow drops nearly all goes to the toilet.
my fix is add a hot and cold PEX lines just for the shower from the hot water tank area.
i think this would decrease the problem a lot.
my neighbor thinks it wouldnt help. he will be helping snake the line and feels the pex is a waste of time.
opinions please.............
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Without seeing the layout, even in stick drawing, it's hard to say what your doing will or won't work. You really need a few more details or at least a stick drawing of some sort to imagine the layout. I would say your neighbor has a 50/50 chance of being right!
Rich
Here's another option. turn the service valve to the toilet almost all the way off. It'll fill a lot slower, but who cares?

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:54:09 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"

That's a good idea worth a try.
contrary to what the folks in the RV group think, I DO have a good idea now and then. <G> Hope it helps.
steve
wrote Re Re: plumbing question:

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:30:57 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

From my DIY corner I believe it would help. You segment the shower back to a larger pipe and it has no bearing on the sink or toilet; during use. Those remain on the single supply you have.
If you do this, rent the crimper for a one time job. About $25. a day (plus cost deposit). Have all the connectors ready on site.
-- Oren

It may help, but will not cure the problem. Best solution is to install an anti-scald valve. You can adjust it to a maximum temperature and it will not go above that if the water is turned on. Keep in mind, if someone in another room turns on the hot water, you may get a cold shower, but not the other way around. Another advantage is you cannot accidentally turn the hot to a scalding temperature. Especially good with kids or elderly in the house.
For more money you can get a thermostatic faucet that will keep a constant temperature, but will have some decreased flow if another faucet is opened.

For one it sounds like a older home were they didn't pay much attention to sizing plumbing

I wasn't ready to send it, What I would do is increase the cold supply like your planning , If you put a bigger supply to the hot you will have a longer wait for Hot Water more volume in the pipe. Plus with all these low flow fixtures you need less water. If you do run a new Hot stick with 1/2" but I see no point unless there are other fixtures of the same line.

house was built in 1950.
my plan was to run new PEX both hot and cold while we already have the kitchen cieling open directly under the bath. its a job of opportunity.
later I might upgrade the basement lines to 3/4 or one inch. its a open area would be easy.
wonder what a conversion from a 3 valve to thermostat valve would cost?
another advantage seperate service valves for tub... so sink toilet could be on while shower off.
had a shower valve malfunction late one nite i had to turn off cold valve to bathroom, so the toilet was out of service too.

Close the valve on the toilet line enough that it takes 5 minutes to fill?
Nick

Aahhh,.... Why don't you lock the door when you're in the shower so no one can use/flush the toilet? A whole lot cheaper fix!

what lock out my wife? she would object worse she tends to live in the bathroom
When I first moved into my house, no matter how many times I asked her not to do it, she would forget and either flush the toilet or start the laundry washer while I was in the shower. I would either be scalded by the toilet or frozen by the washer taking all the hot water.
I have since fixed the problem with temperature and pressure control valves in all the showers along with additional parallel piping and larger sizes for the house supply mains.