Plumbing question

If I have a PVC pipe, and I want to put a T into it in the middle, how do I do that, if neither end can move back or forth? I've done plenty of copper, which bends enough usually, but this PVC sometimes won't budge.

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
dean

You will need to add a union in addition to the tee. Lowes and home depot should have a pvc union or one of those compression type couplings for pvc pipe that will also work.

Reply to
cornytheclown

Can you tell me what the union you mean looks like? I can't see how anything would work other than a flexible coupling.

Reply to
dean

Bull! You could use a repair coupling in nearly every instance when working with PVC.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Dia 's Muire duit

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You need an RP coupling. Cut the pipe where you need the tee, and at a second point a couple feet away. Shorten the section between the cuts by exactly enough length to make room for the tee. Slip the RP coupling onto one end of that section -- withOUT glue -- then glue the tee onto the other end. Glue the other side of the tee in place. Align the two pieces of pipe, make a pencil mark on one side of the joint at half the length of the RP coupling away from the joint, slather the area around the joint with glue, and slide the RP coupling in place up to your pencil mark.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Drain pipe, or pressurized water supply?

What's the pipe size? half inch is different than 6 inch drain.

In the cellar, or in a wall?

How far on either side to the next support?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Drain pipe.

2-1/2" approx o.d. Basement ceiling. Varies - maybe several feet.
Reply to
dean

I believe they sell rubber couplings that will do the trick. Don't know if it's code-worthy for whatever you're using it for.

Reply to
Kitep