Plumbing Q - placement of bathtub drain washer

Dumb plumbing questions about Price-Pfister Trip Lever Waste and Overflow assembly.

I have a 25 year old cast iron tub. I have noticed rust under the tub at the drain, corrosion on the brass waste assembly, and a leak. I am trying to repair it.

The waste elbow is located under the cast iron tub. A waste plug assembly is located in the tub (the trim you see at the top of the drain). There is a washer between them.

1) Should the washer go under the tub? This is where it is now, but the leak worries me. A Danco part seems to show it above the tub, but this doesn't seem right either.

2) Should I put plumber's putty or something between the waste plug assembly and the tub?

3) Anything special to watch out for in this type of repair or other stuff I should do as long as I am in there?

Thanks,

Joe M

Reply to
JoeM

The rubber washer goes under the tub and use plumber's putty around the waste plug. The only tip I can recommend is to be sure that all your mating surfaces are thorouoghly clean before assembling. It should work well for you.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Thanks Jim.

Reply to
JoeM

No problem, Joe. I hope you have a spud wrench for the job. It will make the job a lot easier and will alow you to get the shoe seated properly into the female end. BTW - as an added little hint, be sure that you roll the putty in your hands for a few minutes. When it's warm, it will seat a lot easier.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Jim,

Spud wrench? No spud nuts at far as I can detect.

Are you talking about a barbell wrench? This fits inside the waste plug (or shoe) and is used to install remove it instead of plier handles like I am using. The thing looks like a miniture barbell (or dumbbell weight). I've never seen more than a picture and I am not real sure on terms.

B TW, I finally figured out [was told ;>) ] that the plumber's putty forms the seal and the washer/gasket is just there to provide some spring force to keep the shoe against the tub.

Thanks again,

Joe

Reply to
JoeM