plumbing propane in new construction

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your thoughts.

I need to get propane in before winter gets to central Texas. I have a small shed that I bought in shell form and I've finished out the inside. I've been researching propane and it seems that using copper would be easiest for me. I have one exterior wall to plumb through (not going through the floor) and travel up two feet vertically in an interior wall to reach the height of my kitchen cabinet. I have decided on two appliances on the inside, a propane burner (one to three burners based on what I can afford) and a heater. The heater will probably be a Mr. Heater

.

What I've learned so far is that I should have a flexible hose (RV style) on the outside for connecting a single 20# tank (BBQ grill type), a two stage regulator, connecting to a copper 3/8" pipe that runs through the exterior wall, under a raised floor in the bathroom, two feet up an interior wall to reach the height of a kitchen cabinet, out the wall, through the kitchen cabinet, to a tee where one side goes up through the counter to a burner and the other side goes out the side to the heater.

If the copper doesn't bend enough and looks like it will kink I will use elbows for the corners. I count five elbows I'll need if I go the elbow route. Regardless I'll need a tee in the cabinet and would prefer to connect flexible hoses (RV style) to the other ends of the tee.

I've also thought about putting a tee outside my shed, capped off for now, if I eventually want to put a small grill or hibachi outside.

As this is not my field, nor was finishing out the inside of my shed, I still have questions including:

- is 3/8" tubing the right size for two appliances

- is Type L soft copper right

- should I run the copper inside some pipe inside the vertical two feet of wall - difficult to install black pipe because of the angles

- on the outside, how do I attach a flexible hose to the copper pipe

- can I connect flexible hose directly to the tee - if I must use copper for the flare off the tee, is there a minimum length for the copper before the flexible hose

- can I use soap and water for leak detection or must I use the more expensive commercial solution - I've seen on YouTube where soap and water could cause extra corrosion

- is it better to use CSST for this rather than copper - where can I find CSST long enough for this project (14'?)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

You may want to check your local code. My stove has 3/8" tubing and it supplies all the burners and the oven with no problem. That is in the

60,000 Btu use with everything on high.

I'm not sure about the flexible hose in your application, but the code will.

This will help

You can get free access to NFPA54 also but you do have to sign up

Ed Pawlowski