Plumbing project? ? ?

Page 2 of 2
Thanks to all for the thoughtful and helpful answers.
"Ray" wrote in message
Let me say at the outset that I am well aware that I can get only an educated guess in response to this posting, but I would welcome an educated guess or even pure speculation.
We live in a six-unit coop apartment building built in 1922. It's a very solid building which has been well-maintained and it in very good shape considering its age.
The apartments are identical in layout, two on each floor.
The fourth floor consists of six rooms which were once occupied by servant girls. It was a dormitory arrangement, with a shared bathroom at one end of the hallway, and a shared kitchen at the other.
Around 1950 these rooms ceased to be used for habitation and were converted to storage. At that same time, the hot and cold water pipes were cut and plugged.
To get to my question: What's likely to be involved if we reconnect the water supply? (To make the rooms habitable once again.)
The old pipes all remain in place, but I'm sure they are so corroded and rusted inside that replacement with copper would be essential.
I emphasize that all of the bathrooms are stacked in the same vertical configuration. I'm pretty sure that the old pipes have been replaced in the apartments through the years.
So I guess the second question is, is it likely that we can simply extend the pipes from the third-floor bathroom to the fourth-floor bath?
To repeat, I'm aware that I'm asking for a diagnosis done with a blindfold. I'm sure all sorts of issues, like water pressure etc., would come into consideration. But we do know that at one time the plumbing worked on the fourth floor, and we'd like to restore it if possible.

As others have said here:
Q: How do you know that the other bathrooms do not still use "original" water supply piping?
A: You do not know and can not discover that until you open up some walls in some of the units...
You seem so concerned about the water supply side of the equation, but I would be more concerned with the drain side... Your building is probably still using its original soil/vent stack -- if the 4th floor drains were capped off in 1950, then disturbing that stack will probably be the most scary aspect of the "project" you have proposed...
I would look into what the permitted use of the 4th floor space is as things stand now... I am betting it is listed as storage space not fit for human habitation... Adding "creature" comforts like running water to such space so people can hang out up there to use the room(s) for something sounds like it will bring up egress issues...
Building constructed in 1922, you probably have asbestos insulation, asbestos containing floor tiling or asbestos containing wall plaster which will need to be abated before you can do any work on the rooms... Rooms last used in the 1950's, you are probably looking at abating lead painted walls and woodwork to prevent any future liability for what would become common space for all the building occupants to use...
I would just leave that space alone as if you wake the sleeping dogs that lie there you might be looking at a much costlier project than just hooking up some pipes...
~~ Evan