plumbing problem

Hi

I have leaking issue in the bathroom sink. I opened the system and took it out (please see picture below)

I tested the black U shape tube by filling water and wait. I did not leak. It is 1 1/4 tube. I went to home depot and bought this

the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it on top. So i bought one. I asked if I need to do anything else to stop the leaking. He said no. What do you think?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

First, you don't state specifically where the leak is.

Second, is that black U connection supposed to be your trap? If so, replace it with a real trap like this

Third, replace plastic components with metal. Plastic will eventually break down and leak in due time.

Fourth, yes, putty is required when installing a sink drain. You need to apply it under the drain lip to make contact with the top of the sink drain hole (indented circle). If that was your leak, it should resolve the issue.

Reply to
Meanie

Hi, And don't forget some tool needed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

personally i prefer plastic fittins and since they are all poor quality my fix works, 100% of the time:)

I put silicone bathtub caulk on all the connections

it comes apart easily if needed, but prevents leaks short and long term...

Reply to
bob haller

Yep, plumbers putty will do the trick. Sometimes a rubber gasket is supplied with the drain kit or included with the sink. A gasket is better (if supplied) as replacing it is easy. Old plumbers putty that needs removed can be a bear to clean up depending on sink material and condition.

Plastic drains can be a problem if you buy the cheap junk at the big box stores. Go to a plumbing supply house for the good plastic stuff (which doesn't rust out like metal by the way).

John

Reply to
John

Good idea.

I agree, plastic will not rust and good quality plastic can outlast metal, but steps such as yours need to be done in order to avoid potential leaks.

Reply to
Meanie

k it out (please see picture below)

I tested the black U shape tube by filling water and wait. I did not leak. It is 1

1/4 tube. I went to home depot and bought this
the sale person at home depot told me to buy plumbing putty to put it on t op. So i bought one. I asked if I need to do anything else to stop the leak ing. He said no. What do you think? Thanks a lot.

Does it leak when water runs out of the sink into the drain, or does it lea k when the stopper is in the sink and no water is draining out?

Reply to
hrhofmann