plumbing - main water line repair

No water at the house. Before I dug it up, we were toggling it at the meter. But once I dug the hole, I had to stop because it would pool up a big mudhole. Neighbor next door let's us carry over buckets of water -- enough to run the kitchen and flush the toilets. I hope to have it fixed in a day or two.

just

Reply to
Coloradotrout

Ah, think I just got your point. Basically the mirror of what another suggested to do in copper.

In otherwords you are saying, sweat a female copper fitting to my copper pipe. Glue a pvc male fitting to a pvc pipe. Put that in the hole, cut the pvc to length, screw the pvc into the copper, and then glue-in a repair pvc coupler. Interesting.. and certainly the least expensive. I guess it comes down to -- what's easier / better.. the pvc repair coupler or the copper version. Yep, I can see how time is of the essence w/ the pvc coupler! I've done enough pvc gluing to get the idea and get all the ducks in a row before making the first contact!!

One advantage of the copper is that I can use a bit of the soft copper and build-in a shock absorber of sorts.

Reply to
Coloradotrout

Get a well drilled and tell your water utility to f*ck off. If they cant even locate the line, why give them your money.

Reply to
linksaver

Local plumbing supply suggested..

copper pipe | 1" female flare fitting | 1" male flare fitting to 3/4" male threads (all original to this point) | 3/4" threaded brass female coupler |

3/4" male threads scd 80 pvc to straight pvc pipe | sch 80 pvc coupler | existing pvc pipe

With this there are no sweat joints. According to them, underground sweat joints should be avoided. Anyone have any comments on this?

The 'trick' to this setup is to get the coupler in-place. This coupler has a ridge in the middle, so I'll need to test fit to see if I can make it work. That's about 1" of "jockeying" to get it to fit together.

Reply to
Coloradotrout

I had already suggested one of these:

The "wiggle" room is built into he piece.

Reply to
DanG

It's a done deal.

I ended up test fitting to length and then cutting my new 3/4" pvc (male thread on one end) and glueing that to the existing pvc w/ a coupler. Then came the hard part -- getting the flare fitting male to thread into the female. Part of the issue was there was not good way to work inside the tight hole. But eventually.. I got it started and so far so good.

I'd be really interested to understand how to file out the ridge of a pvc coupler. That seems like a slick solution in some of these situations.

So the final result is..

3/4" soft copper | female flare fitting | male flare fitting -to- male 3/4" threads | 3/4" brass female coupler | 3/4" scd 80 male threaded pipe (cut to length) | pvc coupler | original 3/4" pvc pipe

Now if I can hold out during these sub zero degree nights.. and it holds.. then when our soil thaws I can fill the hole back up. As it is.. I have the pipes covered w/ pizza boxes, 2x6's, and under an infrared heat lamp, and the hole covered w/ a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

If this ever happens to you, schedule it for 60 degree days ;-)

Reply to
Coloradotrout