Plumbing, Main drain in floor of basement

Can I plug up the main drain? There is an odor coming from it and I think the pipe is either cracked or eroded. I fill it with water every

3 days and it still produces a smell after 2 days. If possible could I just plug it?
Reply to
calico_one

I had the same problem, except it tooks a week. If you have AC you might be drying the house out enough to cause the water to evaporate. I was told that if you fill with water, the trap/drain/ and poor down several ounces of mineral oil, it cover the water. Since the mineral oil won't evaporate, and seals the water, you can reduce your refill times during the dry season.

I don't know your drain, so I can only say it worked for me.

imho,

tom @

Tom The Great

We have a septic system and drain feild. I don't think I should pour mineral oil in it but I may be wrong.

We have electric baseboard heat, so there is no duct work and that means no AC. We don't have AC at all in the house.

Reply to
calico_one