Plumbing inspector nightmare

Page 3 of 4

Generally speaking, code compliance or lack thereof will not have any effect on your insurance coverage if your house burns down. Lies, fraud and cheating will void an insurance policy. Mere stupidity won't.
"JRanieri" <heck no> wrote in message wrote:

Well, you just may not get insurance again through that carrier either.
Lies, fraud and

Sasha wrote:

In my home town I'm not allowed to celebrate July4. I am, however, allowed to PAY to watch the city officials celebrate my Independence for me.
I don't bother, and only partially because I don't hold any grudges against the Brits for what their ancestors King did, long ago. That was certainly no worse than what MY "gummint" is doing.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know

Here in NJ, a municipality can not supersede, state code with arbitrary/more restrictive local codes. Could you imagine 567 possible different codes for every town we have here. I would think most states are the same? If you know your stuff, you will get your way, but you'll have to watch your P's and Q's on every aspect of the job and future jobs. you will embarrass the inspector so bad, he will leave you alone. one town, here, had so many law suits they fired the inspector.
If your in the right, write the mayor or town administrator, tell them the inspector is requiring additional spec, above and beyond the minimum code requirements. ask for relief and that the State codes be followed. be nice, but know your stuff.
============== SNIP=======================>

Thats why about half the residential remodel woik gets done sans permit...that is the home owner opts to just hope the city's roving inspectors dont have x-ray eyes to look through the walls and see that (gasp)...you are doing some work.

Every house must have one 3 inch vent. Toilets must have a 2 inch vent minimum. Just do what he wants and be done with it. If you are unable to figure out what he wants get a little help from a real plumber.

I've heard other people say that a toilet must have a 2" vent. Can you quote the UPC chapter and verse that says that? I was looking for the reference.
Terry wrote:

shall be at least one vent terminal which is the same size as the main stack. So the requirement for a 3" vent may not be unreasonable.
Jim

Any house with over 20dfu will get a 3" main vent like you say. I have always used 1 1/2" vents on WC with 3" main and 2" for 4" main. I just thought maybe there was some clause somewhere that said that WC had to be 2" vent.
I cannot.
"In my state (MA) a homeowner can't do his own plumbing."
Bullshit on that! your state can kiss my ass! I will always do every bit of work in every house I ever live in, plumbing, framing, electrical, roofing, whatever...........just like I always have........and always fixed my own cars
I have never employed a professional to repair anything in my entire life, nor will I
and any SOB inspector who says I can't work on something of my own will find the wrong end of a gun!
EVEN in Massachusets! (though I doubt I will live there, too cold, but I do like the Car Talk knuckleheads!)
cheers!
Easy there Cowboy! Put the gun down. Here, have a beer...
We don't call her MA for nothin!
And we have plenty of cowboys up here too. They do their own work and no one says anything and everyone is fine unless some dickhead homeowner buys the house and brings in some lawyers......

Which, in many jurisdictions, would have you facing felonious assault charges.
Which, in many jurisdictions, would have you facing felonious assault charges. ******************************************************************** Not to mention the towm condeming the house and then selling it for back taxes when he abandons it because he can't live there. He sounds like a real intelligent person.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

"cowboy" < snipped-for-privacy@someISP.com> wrote in message

NP. he can then defend himself in court!
cowboy wrote:

Next you'll tell us the only way they'll get your gun is by prying it from your cold dead hands.
Shut yer yap crybaby.
Sasha writes:

In many places the plumbing permitting and inspecting is run by the plumbing trade itself in a confederacy with the local government, and has the primary mission of forcing you to hire their overpriced and entry- restricted tradesmen, which is partly kicked back to the local pols. If you insist on doing work yourself on your own home (as is a codified right in my state), you will, despite the legal entitlement, be subject to various impediments, such as bureaucratic delays, excessive paperwork and plans not required of the trade, and (as you seem to have discovered) arbitrary and capricious inspections and interpretations of the so-called and chimerical "code".
There is a bona fide purpose to building codes, but they are also in many places tools for a kind of petty political/economic tyranny.
Hmmm. Odd. Only two newsgroups carrying this thread. Who left out alt.conspiracy.theory...?

It IS on alt.conspiracy.theory. At least, is WAS...... ;-P
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:50:39 -0500, in alt.home.repair RE: Re:
wrote:

Well said and worth repeating.