Plumbing inspector nightmare

Page 2 of 4

you have chose to be a jerk... sorry. But thats not impressive. There is NO need or requirement that one dig up referrences for everything he asserts...thats only if you are a journalist or whatever.
In conversation one says whate wishes and others get to decide if its valid or not... certainly you can *ask for a reference as you did... but there is no requirement to supply one. I am not going to spend the time to dig up the channel 7 news or SF Chronicle archives.
So take it or leave it.
However fraud in government is not exactly something new...it tends to be way more than pervasive. In this thread we have several others post of long standing practices of 'tipping' building inspectors if you want your job to pass. that should be a clooo for you.
Unfortunately now, since you have been unpleasant I must terminate further discussion with you.
Phil Scott
Phil Scott wrote:

Post the news articles you referenced or STFU. btw, you haven't seen unpleasant.
I think you may have bribed your teachers in school so you could pass. Your spelling and grammar reflect this. Staple a $5.00 spot with your english tests?
Doug

It has always been my experience that it takes two assholes to make a bar fight. If you've got homeowners/contractors trying to cut corners and violate the codes then, and only then, do you have a situation where a bribe can fix the situation. I have never had an issue with an inspector on site and have never paid a bribe in 25 years, and I've done jobs in the Boston neighborhoods too. It is my job to know at least as much about the current codes as the inspector and I follow them closely or surpass them, so there is very little to argue about. No opportunity, no problem. But I did decide once to pay a neighborhood guy's 12 year old kid and a couple of his friends $100 a week (1980's) to keep a watch out in order to be sure nothing happened to my jobsite! (The old man collected the money)

There was no corner cutting or trying to violate code. I made a simple mistake, neglecting the width of some decorative skirting I wasn't planning on at the time I did the design. Ok, I guess I was trying to violate code by having him approve the deck when it was in fact 1/2 inch too close to the property line.
I see two acceptable outcomes to this. 1) The guy says yeah, you screwed up, but it's not dangerous, and its barely noticeable so I'm going to let you pass this time. 2) The guy says I'm sorry, you're in violation of code and I can't allow this to pass.
Note that 3) You are in violation of code but for an undocumented fee of $20 I will allow this to pass
is not on the list.
ml

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't really talking about your case. I was commenting on the more generalized discussion on making and taking bribes. In your case any reasonable person would just let it go. What the inspector was probably thinking as he stood there in silence was: Is this guy trying to pull something over on me? Can someone sue the Town over this? Can someone sue ME over this? Do I need this aggravation?

Half inch? Not much in the scheme of life. I cannot imagine a reasonable inspector not re-measuring this to see if there is truly an error. How certain is he that the property line is exact from where he is measuring? If you can get it to be 15/32" maybe he will round down the measurement.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I believe the point you mentioned was one more thing he may have been considering when he paused. Waiting for a bribe during that infamous pause has been entertaining fodder in this thread, but I doubt there's any validity to it in this case.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That was my thought as well. It is hilarious that anyone would think that property lines are accurate to a 1/2". I've had property surveyed by two different surveyors and had corner point locations differ by a nearly a foot over a run of a few hundred feet.
Although it is probably cheaper to fix the deck than to have the lot surveyed ... and there is always the danger than the next survey will put the line even closer to the deck! :-)
Matt

what can i tell ya. in this case there was a chainlink fence he was assuming was running exactly along the property line and he was measuring up to that. at any rate he passed it and as far as i know it's still there.
ml

I resent that. I've been in 4 bar fights just this week and I've never been an asshole. I would have been in more but I've been kicked out of every place in town.
;-)

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse

I'm too old. I just shoot them, then I fight them.

I forgot to mention the most amazing part of the story. The first time plumbing inspector came for the inspection he just said: "Rejected" very briefly mentioning what's rejected. When I asked him to to explain what's wrong and how he wants things to be done. He completely refused to talk to me saying they are not allowed to explain anything. I then went to township and talked to the second plumbing inspector who unfortunately happened to be subordinate of the first one. I ordered reinspection and next time they both came to my house. The story repeated again, they refused to explain to me anything at first. I then told them. Imagine a situation that you are stopped by a police officer and the officer just tell you: "you are fined $500". When you ask him what the fine for the officer replies: "I am not allowed to tell you anything". How would you feel? Finally after 30 minutes of tense discussion the boos inspector within 20 seconds explain to me how he wants me to fix issues. I spent two days doing this and today finally I got approval. I don't blame the inspector, I blame the rules. We are going to celebrate 4th of July, praising our liberties which are without doubt invaluable. Someone from UK responded to my original posting saying that in UK they can do anything in their own home. I just wonder whether the US is really that free country as it states when people there cannot do in their own homes what they want?
I was remodeling a home in Oakland, Ca and all the inspectors were very helpful us. The plumbing inspector even came out to the house to show us how he wanted us to run a waste line and connect to the sewer. The electrical inspector was also helpful. We ran a new service and the weather head wasn't high enough for city code, but it complied with the NEC. He asked if we were given the city electrical code, we had not. He approved us and said, "For future reference boy, it needs to be higher." I think Oakland wanted to encourage home owners to maintain their property. Ron

When you ask him

I blame the inspector. Sure, there are rules, but there are ways of telling a person what has to be done and still maintain their professional integrity. Most inspectors are decent people that just want to see the job done right. There goal is to have safe buildings, not to bust your ass over silly stuff. As in all walks of life, there is that 1% that is a real bozo.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

On 1 Jul 2005 17:55:39 -0700, in alt.home.repair RE: Re: Plumbing

You just answered your own question.

As lo0ng as it's safely done I have no problem. But as I've seen here in just the past two days it appears people don't know much. For instance, wiring 240V o0utlet with seperate electrical runs. If you're house caught fire and then caused mine to go up I'd be pretty pissed.

I would be also quite pissed if I bought a house from some punk who miswired it.

I guess one thing to keep in mind when DIYing, especially w/regard to electrical, is the effect it will have on your home insurance.
ml