Plumbing inspector nightmare

This was the 1970's and depending on the size of the job, $10 to $20.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've heard other people say that a toilet must have a 2" vent. Can you quote the UPC chapter and verse that says that? I was looking for the reference.

Reply to
Terry

I blame the inspector. Sure, there are rules, but there are ways of telling a person what has to be done and still maintain their professional integrity. Most inspectors are decent people that just want to see the job done right. There goal is to have safe buildings, not to bust your ass over silly stuff. As in all walks of life, there is that 1% that is a real bozo.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As stated, Codes vary, but one says in effect that there shall be at least one vent terminal which is the same size as the main stack. So the requirement for a 3" vent may not be unreasonable.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Any house with over 20dfu will get a 3" main vent like you say. I have always used 1 1/2" vents on WC with 3" main and 2" for 4" main. I just thought maybe there was some clause somewhere that said that WC had to be

2" vent.
Reply to
Terry

"In my state (MA) a homeowner can't do his own plumbing."

Bullshit on that! your state can kiss my ass! I will always do every bit of work in every house I ever live in, plumbing, framing, electrical, roofing, whatever...........just like I always have........and always fixed my own cars

I have never employed a professional to repair anything in my entire life, nor will I

and any SOB inspector who says I can't work on something of my own will find the wrong end of a gun!

EVEN in Massachusets! (though I doubt I will live there, too cold, but I do like the Car Talk knuckleheads!)

cheers!

Reply to
cowboy

million

I didnt clip them and glue them to my forehead or anything. It was all over the evenin' nooz in that time frame too. Possibly you ain't payin' attention?

You might find it on a google news search with the key words "San Francisco, Building, Inspector, permits, payoffs"

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

In many places the plumbing permitting and inspecting is run by the plumbing trade itself in a confederacy with the local government, and has the primary mission of forcing you to hire their overpriced and entry- restricted tradesmen, which is partly kicked back to the local pols. If you insist on doing work yourself on your own home (as is a codified right in my state), you will, despite the legal entitlement, be subject to various impediments, such as bureaucratic delays, excessive paperwork and plans not required of the trade, and (as you seem to have discovered) arbitrary and capricious inspections and interpretations of the so-called and chimerical "code".

There is a bona fide purpose to building codes, but they are also in many places tools for a kind of petty political/economic tyranny.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hmmm. Odd. Only two newsgroups carrying this thread. Who left out alt.conspiracy.theory...?

RicodJour

Should have. Might have been an improvement.

Possibly i ain't, but you brought it up as if you had the 6:00 news on it... So put up or shut up.

Reply to
G Henslee

Here in NJ, a municipality can not supersede, state code with arbitrary/more restrictive local codes. Could you imagine 567 possible different codes for every town we have here. I would think most states are the same? If you know your stuff, you will get your way, but you'll have to watch your P's and Q's on every aspect of the job and future jobs. you will embarrass the inspector so bad, he will leave you alone. one town, here, had so many law suits they fired the inspector.

If your in the right, write the mayor or town administrator, tell them the inspector is requiring additional spec, above and beyond the minimum code requirements. ask for relief and that the State codes be followed. be nice, but know your stuff.

============== SNIP========================

Reply to
mg

I have done a lot of plumbing. I have NEVER heard the terms WET VENT and DRY VENT. What is he talking about?

I can not tell you about the number of vents, that depends on local code. However, you might be able to "grandfather" in what you have. Prove the former inspector passed it.

As for Fernco couplings, that again must be local code. I have used them on all types of pipe and never heard a complaint.

Reply to
maradcliff

You haven't done shit for plumbing if you don't even know what a wet vent is.

FU Look it up.

Like your mommy and grandfather did to produce you.

You're clueless. Great help.

Reply to
G Henslee

The wet vent is the one roofers use when they have to pee

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes there are such terms. As I recall from my fading memory, a dry vent goes straight to the outside, while a wet vent may be plumbed through another drain.that has a dry vent.

Reply to
FDR

Yes, a lot of the U.S. is like that now.

About 20 years ago I moved from San Diego California to a rural area in Alabama. We have no building code requirements outside the city limits where I live. It's like I died and went to heaven.

I can build anything I want however I want. I love it! Nevertheless, I do pretty much do all my work to codes whereever such codes are good practice or safety related.

Reply to
Vic Dura

You just answered your own question.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Well said and worth repeating.

Reply to
Vic Dura

OTOH, your neighbor can do the same...if he's as capable as you, that can be ok...when it's the local county doofus or worse, everything you've invested can be rendered nearly valueless... :(

While I fully understand the mentality and am glad we're outside the city 3-mile radius, I'm certainly thankful that Dad was able while on the City/County Planning Commission some 20-30 years ago to get reasonable restrictions adopted in the county. Otherwise, it would be a never-ending plile of trailers w/ open cess pools and worse...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth