Plumbing in new washing machine - drain is 1-1/2" pipe

My old machine was routed direct to the laundry sink. I bought a new machine, and I want to get the plumbing out of the sink..

All of my drain pipes in my 30yr old house are 1-1/2" ABS

My kitchen sink drain runs directly behind my washing machine Sink is upstairs, machine is in the basement.

so...

I plan on adding a 1-1/2 tee near the floor Off the T a p trap Off the p trap a standpipe - taller then the washer machine Then attach the washer machine hose to the top.

Any problems with this? I have read I should have 2" drain pipe. but all of my pipe is 1-1/2"

Reply to
hombrewdude

Works for me, if you ever have a problem with it, you could Rube Goldberg in some more pipe just to have a reservoir. I'm pretty sure mine is all 1 1/2 and it works fine.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Mine was in the house and 1 1/2" has worked for the past 28 years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It won't be "correct". The new trap will not be vented and waste flow from above can suck the trap dry. You *could* add a mechanical vent to the new trap.

If the kitchen trap doesn't have a vent, it will surely gurgle when the washer empties.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

my situation was the same as yours and the kitchen sink did gurgle when the washer drained.how i fixed this was to put a t and a short piece of pipe on the kitchen sink drain and a "ventless vent" sold at hd for places that don't have a vent.basically its a oneway fitting that lets air in but not out.

Reply to
woodarama

I believe code for a washer without a tub is 2". I know of one case where 1 1/2" was used, and significant rot was caused by frequent small overflows over a period of years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

What is the best way to add a vent? I have never seen one of those for sale before. Does it have to be on the kitchen sink?

I also have the option to tie into the drain line for the laundry sink. It is next to the washer. The gurgle won't be a problem there.

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
hombrewdude

I am in the basement. If there is a problem, I can just pull the hose and put it back in the sink.

I d> > My old machine was routed direct to the laundry sink.

Reply to
hombrewdude

Several vent styles:

has the Oatey "AutoVent".

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If you are still going to have the sink, You could have a "Y" in the pipe you are adding, with the second side going to your sink to make sure any future overflow goes there rather than the floor. The "Y" would be a ways under the top of the pipe where the washer hose comes in.

You are right about 2" into 1 1/2". Code would be 2" for the whole drain.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

We have one from a company called STUDOR. It is on the drain from a kitchen sink in a free standing island - no vent stack anywhere nearby.

Reply to
Robert Haar

This seems like more work then it is worth... And I really don't want any overflows.

Whats the best way to route it into the sink??

Robert Haar wrote:

Reply to
hombrewdude

I checked all the responses. I don't have the 1 1/2" problem, but when I moved in the washer had been backing up periodically for years. I got tired of it and had the drain replaced. The plumber offered to do it the cheap way. He punched a hole in the foundation and ran the new drain through that. The whole drain assembly is exposed. He added a vent by running the vent pipe up the wall about 7 feet and putting one of the one way valves on top of it. So if you are in the garage you can do it that way.

I have also seen sink draings vented using the same technique under the cabinet. I expect the vent needs to be above the level of the trap.

Bill Gill

Reply to
BillGill