Plumbing: How did they join copper/cast-iron in 1950's?

Plumbing: How did they join copper/cast-iron in 1950's?

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest, built in '54, poured-concrete foundation.

The kitchen sink drain has about a 30" length of 2" copper drain pipe running near horozontal _inside_ the _wall_ to a cast-iron stack (lead/oakum joints) that is roof-vented.

The copper is corroded and leaking badly.

Anybody got any idea how they mighta joined the copper to the iron stack back in the 50's when the little house was built? Threaded joint (wishful thinking)? Solder joint?

How would a plumber replace the copper pipe with, say, PVC? Kitchen wall is ceramic tile.

Any/all help much appreciated. Washing the dishes in my little bathtub (can't afford a plumber) is noooooooooo fun! :-)

Regards, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I'm sorry, but the wall will probably have to be opened up to the point that you see the copper enter cast iron. It may well be a copper male adapter threaded into the cast iron, although it may well be welded with time and corrosion It is possible to cut through the inside of the copper fitting to be able to remove it. Make this cut on the top of the pipe as you will do some damage to the threads in the cast iron. Pipe dope will be able to seal the slight damage.

Choices:

replace the copper portion with pvc with a pvc male adapter.

cut out a section of cast iron and replace with a pvc sanitary tee w/short nipples and fernco connectors.

There is a plumber - Jim - who watches this group, perhaps he will have better ideas. There are some new thin wall liners that can be epoxied into existing pipe, but I think this stuff is beyond DIY.

___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG

also click on the _More Videos_ to the right.

-zero

Reply to
-zero