Plumbing help with water filter

Hi,

I am on a tight budget, but trying to put in an under-sink water filter to address problems with the lead water main on my street.

I actually have such a filter that I used a couple apartments ago, includin g multiple filters. Just the savings of using the expensive filters that I already have means that I'd really like to use this filter, if I can. The system (Moen ChoiceFlow,

is a little unique, in that it dispen ses the water THROUGH the faucet, coming out of a tiny spout that is on the bottom of the faucet. That worked great (not sure why they discontinued t his model), but it won't work in my current kitchen, as the owner already h as a faucet installed.

What I would like to do is use the actual filter portion of this system, bu t connect it to a new sink-top spout.

My question is how to safely make the connections from the plastic tubing t hat the filter uses. How do I safely connect the plastic tubing outlet of the filter to the inlet of a new filtered water spout? Are barbed connecti ons reliable/safe for use with city water pressure, or would I run the risk of flooding the apartment? What if I use a clamp? Are there things I nee d to know to do this right?

If I use a barbed fitting, how do I know what fitting size to get? Do I ju st get one that seems to fit tight, or should I actually measure something? I have a caliper, so can measure the ID of the tubing accurately. Is the re some rule-of-thumb to how the ID of the tube relates to the fitting size ?

Thanks! Emily

Reply to
emily cl

I've used both barbed and threaded fittings and have had no problem with either. The package should be clearly labeled as to which size tubing etc it requires.

It is sometimes possible to get good help in a "big box" store such as Home Depot but I tend to support a local plumbing supply near my house whenever I have a job I'm not 100% sure of.

They tell me exactly how to do it and exactly what parts I need. For the couple dollars I pay over Home Depot, I have literally saved thousands of dollars compared to what a plumber would charge.

Reply to
philo

[...]

In this video, Rich Trethewey of this old house, uses threaded connections, push-in (barbed) connections and compression connections, depending on which one works best for each location.

The T in the inlet pipe can be replaced with a needle valve which pokes a hole in the copper pipe, but they make me nervous. I used one many years ago during the initial install, but now I shut off the house main when I change the filter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I agree about the small town store. I've also had moments where the old guy who knows what he's doing has saved me a lot of time, work, and money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon