Plumbing help - new lav. and drain

Howdy,
I've installed a new sink, faucet and drain in a bathroom.
I followed instructions and all went according to plan, but the drain leaks from the uppermost gasket right underneath the sink. Is it more likely that a) I just need more putty than I could possibly imagine around the flange, b) I need a different drain (bigger flange?), or c) I've messed something else up?
Thanks, JSH
Julie wrote:

a) Plus tighter screw down of the big nut, or c)
Julie wrote:

You need to put sealant (silicone caulk) on the top and bottom surfaces of the Mack rubber washer. Also apply sealant to the threads which the washer covers. That should fix it. Dry all the parts with a hair dryer beforehand.
Jim