Plumbing for dishwasher (not replacing, this is a new install)

Hello I am trying to plumb for my new dishwasher. Under my sink I have a 1/2 pipe going to a 1/2 to 3/8 inch compression converter, then the flexible tube to the sink. Currently, there is no shut off valve. I want the shut off valve and the dishwasher.
I bought a 1/2 to 3/8 shut off valve with two outlets. How it works is the handle would be on the top of the pipe, and the outlets would be on the side. Not the way I imagined it, but so be it.
The problem is the current 1/2 to 3/8 connector. Since it is supplying the threads, if I remove it, the valve doesn't work-cause there is no thread on the pipe. (its a female valve). Is threading the pipe the answer? Or does it require something else? Or am I buying the wrong valve?
Any answers would be appreciated.
Robin
<< am I buying the wrong valve >>
Possibly. You might cruise the box store shelves for ideas that would work better. Hard to tell from the info, but it may be more involved than you think. A counterman at a plumbing warehouse would be a good person to help with this kind of question. HTH
Joe