plumbing - fix urinal piping

House built 1949. Wall hung urinal install 15-20 years ago by myself. Two problems need fixing:

1 Urinal pipe seems to clog which I undersand is from a buildup of something in the urine.

2 Sink downpipe is leaking badly so need to change that.

Both urinal and sink run separately into what I recall is a 3 or 4 inch cast iron downpipe at different directions but at the same level on the down pipe. Both urinal and sink have separate piping and traps and screw into separate female openings on the cast iron downpipe.

The sink is an easy fix, just new fittings in black plastic piping.

Urinal I thought because of the potential for problems is to have a horizontal takeout piece of plastic pipe I can unscrew at both ends so I can easily clean it out and monitor any buildup if necessary. I suppose ideally the urinal pipe should be running downhill to the cast iron pipe but that is not possible so I had to go with a section from urinal to wall of a horizonatal piece of pipe 6 to 8 inches long. But having said that, commercially installed urinals appear no different and have a horizontal distance to travel before leading downhill!

If you any feedback thoughts for improvement, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I know that all urinal pipes are prone to problems with buildup after many years.

Reply to
anonymous

More important question: You have a urinal in your house?

Reply to
Still Just Me.

Yeah, no floor mess. No toilet seat problem. It serves its purpose well.

Reply to
anonymous

Can't you find some double-nasty cleaning stuff to pour down the drain? Muriatic acid? Lye? Easy-Off?

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, I use muriatic acid and it works well but it is hard on the metal part of the pipes. I suspect when I install a pull-out section, I can keep the flow area clear and scraped as well as reduce the use of muriatic acid. Since the sink and the urinal run into the same downpipe and the sink drains quickly, it is obvious it is the short urinal pipe to the wall that is the problem. Add to that in a commerial setting, the urinal is either flushed constantly automatically or is in heavy use. In a domestice installation its use may be 3 to 5 times a day so the urine residue in the pipes can sit for hours causing gradual buildup and hardening between reflushes.

Reply to
anonymous

Having a urinal in the house would be handy, but there should be at least two of them. Otherwise there's no guys dick at the next urinal to look at and laugh about.

Robert Gay

Reply to
robertgay