Plumbing drain question

I'm no drain mavin, but if I were doing the job for myself I'd put in a tee and threaded plug under the sink and try and create the two 90 degree bends down in the crawl space with a couple of 45 degree elbows each.

That to make it easier to run a snake through the line if that long horizontal run ever gets glogged with hair or something else over time.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi Gang,

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet away. The drain will be as follows:

18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists, Run along bottom of joists for 19',

Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.

Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Should be interesting.......

Technically, it will work.

Assume you won't be seeking any permits/inspection.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Perhaps he could convince the inspector that it's all one 19' long trap.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Bwahaha

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

No permits/inspection.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Even though it will initially drain, I think it will not be satisfactory because it is not vented, there is no slope, and the trapped water will make drainage very slow and subject to stoppages as foreign matter settles out of the water. Despite what some think, installing things contrary to code provisions is usually not a good idea.

Run your drain to wherever the drain line goes low enough for a suitable slope and provide a vent near the new sink if you want it to be satisfactory over the long haul. Also install cleanouts for such a long run.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

If "work" means perform to accepted standards, then no. You should find another, lower drain to tie into. Or if structural requirements allow, run a 1.5" drain through the joists. You could use copper DWV to minimize the drain outer diameter.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

You don't say what kind of sink you will be draining, but regardless, it will drain extremely slow. The water in the sink will need to develop sufficient force to 'push' or move all the water in the 19' run up the 5" rise at the end. While this might sound like a small matter somewhat like a regular trap, but a regular trap only has about a cup of water that needs to push an inch or so.

Consider how hard you must blow into one end of a garden hose to push the water out the other end when it is held 5" higher.

Reply to
Mark