PLUMBING -- Did I just give myself a worse problem?

I saved myself maybe $80 by replacing the stem seal and spring on a Delta shower faucet. I'd have been really pleased with myself, but I lost three stem springs in the process.

Not until the third one disappeard that I realized I wasn't dropping them behind the tile -- no, they were too small and were going right past the stem seat and into the pipe! I finally used the old spring (sort of conical) from the previous install with the new seal .

So I fixed the drip, but with three springs in the supply line, do I now have a bigger problem?

Thanks for your help, Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

Maybe not. Anything in the line will restrict the flow a bit, but considering the shape and flow requirements, you may never notice any difference. The sprigs will drop only to the first horizontal run and, after a hundred years or so may corrode away completely.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Take it apart again, hold a bucket against the valve, and turn on the water, and maybe you'll get them back.

Reply to
Bob F

Thanks, Ed, for the reassuring answer.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Wow...

The valve seat is soldered into the line behind the tile. A small, strong magnet at the end of a thread might work, except I might lose

*that* in the line too.

I guess for now I'll just live with it.

Thanks, Bob F

Reply to
DemoDisk

How far is the drop to horizontal? You can get a "grabber" tool that mechanics use to grab parts that fall into inaccessible places in the engine bay in about a 24" length.

me

Well, the spring is steel and if the pipes are copper, it might corrode a lot sooner than that. Hopefully just the spring will corrode...

I'd attach a little neodymium magnet to a flexible something or other, maybe a length of 14 gauge electric wire stripped out of some Romex, and see if I could draw the springs out.

RicodJour

Actually, it is more likely stainless steel if it was in the water in usege. And therefore, likely not magnetic.

Let's see - would a stainless spring in copper pipe cause the pipe to corrode?

Reply to
Bob F

Actually you just found yourself a source of unlimited wealth. Now you can bottle that water, and sell it as SPRING water !!!! (or would that be THREE SPRINGS water)?

Reply to
mycomputer3
[snip]

Giving you spring water :-)