Plumbing connection question

Hello All,

I have a question regarding plumbing a shower drain. In my house the drain to the shower is a typical drain similar to this drain

except that the threaded portion does not extend right to the bottom. Instead the bottom half is "smooth" and somewhat tapered to around slightly less than 3".

The original installation of the plumbing transition from this piece to the discharged PVC was simply done by having the pvc pushed up against the bottom of the shower stall around the end of the "coller" and held up forcably that way by wire. Obviously not the way it is supposed to be. This never has caused a problem as the shower is hardly ever used (it is not the main shower) and the amount of water draining out of it wasn't a problem.

However, the other day I pored about 3 gallons of water into the shower from a bucket. That, apparenly, was enough water to back up from the trap and spill over the top of the pvc before it could all drain out. Leaving a puddle in my basement. That begs the question, how does one transition from the smooth mettle of the shower drain to pvc? I tried one of those rubber boot things that has the hose clamps on the top and the bottom but that wont work because of the "Slight" tapper of the shower drain (and the extreamly small amount of space available. How is this done?

TIA.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

If the fitting is the one I'm thinking of, a length of 2" PVC should fit *inside* the drain fitting. Then, from the top-side, calking material is tamped down between the pipe stub and the ID of the fitting.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

When I went to HD the other day I saw the drain your thinking of. It has a "rubber" ribbed inside. This does not. I'm about ready to just go ahead and try to replace the drain with something with NPT fittings on the inside to screw in a extension pipe so I can deal with it below the subfloor.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury