Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside.

Page 1 of 2

Hello - I bought an older house and I am renovating and making my half bath a full bath. I wanted to install an exhaust fan in the bathroom, but it is not very convienent to send it to the side of the house and I don't won't to bother cutting a hole in the roof. So, I was wondering, since the main air vent to both bathrooms is directly above my new bathroom, can I have piece of PVC installed so that my exhaust vent blows into the air vent? Is this code worthy?
Thanks for the suggestions...
John
johnnymo wrote:

No. It won't pass code and for good reason. Do you want sewer gas coming into your bathroom?
mockplumb had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Plumbing-Code-Can-I-tie-my-bathroom-exaust-fan-into-th-161606-.htm : I would not tie in to your bathroom air vent. You need to run a new vent up through the room.
http://www.mockplumbing.com

------------------------------------- Chris Mock http://www.mockplumbing.com
Yet another useless response from the succo company that adds nothing to the answer provided by trader (an probably numerous other people) in a 3 year old thread with the OP long gone.
The succo company response is spam from a plumber. With a response this stupid it is a company for anyone in Louisiana to avoid.
--
bud--

johnnymo wrote:

No. Except there's a water-trap, you can only connect draing piping to the outside, via drain line or vent. Sewer gas can be explosive, and it's happened that contractor cracks a gas main near a sewer line, with natural gas getting into house with dry trap. With house coming apart in a fireball.
This was a block away.
So you see why sewer venting is not a "convenience" thing.
Ok...I am no plumber and makes good sense, but is there enough pressure in the air vent to push the "sewer gases" sideways and down to my exhaust fan. I was thinking as long as I don't create a direct route I would be ok. I just wanted to tie on to the side, kind of like my sink is right now.
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will do a little more research.

The flex hose from mine is wired to the inside of one of the existing roof vents. It works fine. When I re-roof soon, I'm having it routed to its own vent, but you could get away with jury-rigging it, if necessary.
Cool...I am fixing this house to live in, but not very long (~5 years), so I wanna stay close to code so that people won't make me fix it when I go to sell the house.

Be sure to wire the pipe as far up in the vent as possible, so moisture is blown all the way out. Otherwise, it's possible to have condensation on the inside of the metal vent, which may drip back down again. I wondered about this with mine, so I've observed while the shower as on full blast. You should do the same when you're done.
Yea, that is why I thought the idea was a good one, b/c it is a very short distance, just up 1' and over 1' ft, but the air vent still has a way to go, so I thought if there was condensation, it is going to drain down the air stack and into the sewer.
I just want to make sure you guys don't think the sewer gas is going to make its way past my exhaust fan?
Thanks

If you interconnected the bathroom vent to the DWV vent, and if the exhaust fan isn't running, why wouldn't it get past? It's a _gas_, remember?
Would just need a minor vacuum in the house (eg: woodstove or stove vent) to make it a high volume blast of stink.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

You're not going to attach it to the sewer pipe or vent. I'm talking about the attic vents. If you don't have one nearby, it would really be worth your money to install a vent specifically made for the fan, or have a roofer do it.
Repeat: You are not going anywhere near the sewer pipe. Crush the idea.
johnnymo wrote:

--
Grandpa

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

sewer vent, Joe. Sounds like Johnny wants to hook into the sewer vent pipe stack which will cause all sorts of trouble when he wants to sell the house. Not to mention that "wonderful" odor he'll be trying to track down in his bathroom on those occasional days.
My advice Johnny, is don't tap into the sewer vent stack unless you intend to use it to dump sewage into.
--
Grandpa

Whaddya mean "occasional"? I suspect it'd be pretty much all stench, all the time ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Thanks Grandpa.

Give some thought to the fact that nobody does this. Not ever. There is a reason.
Awesome...good ideas. Idea is dead. Makes sense. I thought I was onto to something, but as usual, there is a reason why it is not done this way.
I was just testing you guys....jk. have a whole house fan, and the minute I turn that sucker on, I can see it sucking the air from my bathroom including the air in my exchaut fan vent when the fan is not running.
Back to the drawing board. I appreciated every ones ideas and suggestions. Seems like a really dumb idea now that I look back.
Peace.

Call a roofer or two or three and find out what it could cost to have a proper vent installed. It might be cheaper than you think.

Another approach is to run tubing/hose from the bathroom vent to the eaves, and face the outlet _down_ thru the soffit.
Prevents warm air siphoning, no wall rework required.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est