Plumbing Charge

Page 1 of 2
A plumber removed an existing faucet in the bathtub and replaced it with another provided by the customer. The charge was $285, he was there 2 hours. Does this sound like a reasonable price? Thanks for any input. I'm asking for a friend who doesn't have access to the internet.
Was he quoted 285 before hand, if so then yes.
She's an old lady who lives in a small town and didn't ask ahead of time what he would charge. She also gave him a hot lunch. I think she's feeling used and abused.

Pat in Atlanta wrote:

Send the plumber a bill for the lunch. $150 sounds about right. Plus 15% gratuity, of course.
And yes, he should have asked before he sat down at the table.
Right, send him a bill for the lunch just deduct 100$
Pat in Atlanta wrote:

I'm not sure about you're area, but here near NYC plumbers charge ~$90/hour and count time to the nearest 1/4 hour. So from that alone, I'd say the guy _might_ be a little high, but he's in the ballpark. But there's more involved than just time.
When you say faucet, you mean the shower body, right? That's the part that fits in the wall and has the control knob sticking out. I wouldn't know what else was involved without seeing the old situation and the new shower body that was provided.
Dang! I'm astounded that plumbers get $90/hour anywhere. I'm so glad I'm handy.
I wonder if he charged the old lady for the time he was eating her food.
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Homes around here start at ~$600K. Maybe, just maybe, there's a connection.

Surprisingly, that is actually a good question.
RicodJour wrote:

soon be many more plumbers in the area.
I imagine that they have one of those flat rate pricing policies, which I don't completely understand, but usually I think it means that had it taken him 6 hrs because of unforseen issues, it would still have been 285.
My suggestion would be to have her place a very polite call to the owner of the company to see if perhaps there was an 'error'. You never know.
Always quote first, even if you like the company.
yourname wrote:

Actually, they're having trouble getting qualified help, and there are a fair number of established companies already. Most of the kids growing up around here dream of working in the financial markets and having people hand them large bags of cash without having to do much in the way of earning it.

I know of no plumbing company that would do that. You'd alienate people when it didn't take "enough" time, and you'd end up doing the other jobs for free. Not a good business model.
I had a plumber come for a bid to replace some pipe on a main in the basement, he came out in his Eddie Bauer "Bid clothes", he opened his 3" "Bible" bid book to find the price and found it " Replacing incomming supplys" and said "see here we will do it for 275" I said see here , you are going to look at a dam book to quote me 1 hrs work, Get Lost. He said " but it in the book its fair" I said BS, yur gone. I got it done by another plumber for 80. Just like auto repair "bid books" plumber have that crap to. They are for the idiots that never did the job but need to price " fairly" yea fair is the key word, fair to them, not the consumer.
I don't know if you've seen my latest post but I called a plumber in Atlanta and he quoted me $400 to install a new faucet which I have already purchased. 400 bucks!!!

Pat in Atlanta wrote:

Call another one.
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:53:11 -0500, "Pat in Atlanta"

Atlanta is very warm. There is a 300 dollar surcharge for that.

I've seen them on TV. IIRC, Mr. Plumber is one that does it. Personally, I wouldn't trust them.

I don't think so. The plumbing guild system means that it takes around 4 years to go from not being a plumber to being one.
--WebTV-Mail-5810-9533 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I had a reputable plumbing firm here tell me last Januaryit would cost me $950 to replace a 30 gal. hot water heater. Plus $60 for a permit, and there would be a charge for hauling the old one away. While he went to his truck to call into the office. I called my gas company. $535 for a 40 gal A.O Smith installed, no permit required, no charge for haul away.
When the guy was coming up the driveway he said no such thing as a 30 gal only 40 gal tanks. Now the price would cost me $1100 + permit and haul away.
Cost me $49 for this info from him. The company is now on my no call list.
Most plumbers here work under the company license. Not personally licensed. What ever happened to apprentice, journeymen and then master plumbers. My father was a plumber and had to go through all that and worked for a large plumbing corp. in NY.
Pat
--WebTV-Mail-5810-9533 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-5810-9533--
Perhaps if the plumber is called first, he/they might give a ballpark figure as to what the costs "might" be. Otherwise, once they come out, (just like a refrigerator repair man) he's going charge you a service fee regardless if he doesn't even touch a thing.
Correct, those days are long gone, where a plumber charges $20 to put in a faucet.
A few weeks ago, my father who lives in Chicago, had to call a plumber to fix 3 leaking faucets. Two small gaskets, and one replacement cartridge later, the bill was $221.00. $21 in parts, and $200 in Labor for 2 hours labor.
The price the original poster mentioned doesn't sound too out of line, but agreed, he probably charged her the time while he ate her lunch. Maybe she should've handed him a bill for lunch, $30! :-) Mark
RicodJour wrote:

an hour isn't much to worry about.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a couple of the guys down at the supply house were saying they've increased their rate to $100 and hour and still have more work than they can handle. I don't know about lunch, but they do charge travel time.