plumbing

If water is leaking out of the bottom of the toilet (down on the floor), what should I do? It is not leaking really really fast but it is coming out at a good rate. I have shut off the water to the toilet. But is it something I can easily fix or do I need to call a plumber?

Also the bolts to the tank were rusted really bad and leaking. I bought new bolts and put them on and one side still keeps leaking (the same side that was leaking before I changed them). I have bought two sets of bolts to tank kits and neither seem to stop the drip. Can I just cheat and put the bolts on, tighten them and then put some kind of caulk or sealant around the bolts? Or do I need to call a plumber?

Reply to
mamace

Did you replace the wax seal the toilet is sitting on? The toilet has to be lifted off and the seal cleaned and replaced, then bolted back down.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bolts, seal between tank and bowl and wax ring. You can do it all yourself but first time I refastened a toilet to the floor, I screwed it too tight and broke it. I now just have a plumber come in and put in new toilet to replace old ~5 gal. flushers when serious problems develop. Frank

Reply to
Frank

The OP's post is worded so poorly you can't really tell where he's saying the leak is. If it were the wax ring, then why would he say "neither seems to stop the drip"? You don't get a "drip" from a defective wax seal.

I'd vote for a leak at the tank to bowl gasket, or maybe he didn't put the tank bolts, their metal and rubber washers on is the correct sequence. That's if he's lucky.

And if he's not, it's likely that he's got a small crack in the tank bottom which HE created by overtightening the tank bolts the first time he changed them.

Good luck, OP....Maybe your best bet is to hire a competant plumber.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia