Plumbers Puddy

Greetings,

Teflon tape will work but you are better off with a Teflon paste. Neither will leak gas but the paste goes on much more quickly than the tape.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Plumbers putty is not for pressure pipe applications, its for buffering between metal and ceramics. Pipe dope or teflon tape is what you want.

Reply to
No

If there were such a thing, maybe...methinks you meant "putty".

It's the traditional sealant of course, but for new work use teflon tape specifically for gas--typically it's yellow and is thicker than the thin white for water lines.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Can plumbers puddy be used to seal gas pipe (black pipe) fittings?

Reply to
BN

Plumbers putty is not for pipe threads. But if your trying to fix a leak You going to have to take it apart. That usually involves taking apart more than you want unless the leak is at the end. When putting back together here what I do on gas pipe. I use retorseal and Teflon tape I never used a special Teflon tape for natural gas ( I have for Med Gas) First I put rectorseal on the threads then about 5-6 clockwise turns of Teflon tape then more rectorseal . I have put allot of gas pipe in this seems to work. If you have to take out a major amount of pipe to get to the leak you can cut the pipe and thread the cut end ( hand threader) and install a Right and left hand nipple or a union ( union must be assessable) I prefer L F nipple. Either way do your math before cutting.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

For sealing threads on an iron pipe you use pipe dope. Some people use Teflon tape. I don't.

Buy the better grade of pipe dope and do it right the first time. A gas leak is much more destructive than a water leak.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

No

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are sealants made for gas lines. The yellow teflon helps, and then Rectorseal or Blu Blocker is good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon