Plumber suggestion needed

Page 1 of 2
My kitchen sink is getting clogged. Due to past experiences, the problem c an only be treated in the basement where i can see the slanted pipe going d own the main drain. In the past a plumber inserted a plug with a screw and a flange and a rubber on one end. It works perfectly for water to get to th e drain without dripping from that plug hole. Unfortunately, it has to be r emoved so now I could put my hose into it and unclog the clog...but now I d o not want to replace a plug and heard that there is a certain type of seal tape, red or black, that would have the same effect as the plug. Can someo ne recommend such a tape? Name and etc.?
On 01/02/2014 09:18 AM, novel wrote:

After you remove the plug and fix the clog
just put a little plumbing tape on the threads if you are worried about leakage.
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:33:28 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

From his description it could be an expandable plug. They don't use tape, you just turn the screw until it seals. I wouldn't use a hose though, try a snake first.
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:57:12 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

, you just turn the screw until it seals. I wouldn't use a hose though, tr y a snake first.
Right it is a expandable plug. What about the tape they talk about..any inf o on that? I have to cover that hole after snaking...i don't want to have to install and remove that plug every time I need to unclog the pipe. Cover ing it with a seal tape sounds more to my liking. LOL
On 1/2/2014 3:06 PM, novel wrote:

tape they talk about..any info on that? I have to cover that hole after snaking...i don't want to have to install and remove that plug every time I need to unclog the pipe. Covering it with a seal tape sounds more to my liking. LOL

And how often is that? Twice a year?
I'd have more confidence in expanding plug, compared to some tape that dries out, and you have to buy new tape each time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/2/2014 3:06 PM, novel wrote:

You always have to remember that pressure in a drain is minimal and nowhere near as high as in the water supply side. Does not take much to seal it and it does not need to be super tight.
On 01/02/2014 02:06 PM, novel wrote:

Bad idea, if you tape it sewer gas might get into your house
I'd put the cover back and do it right.
In five years in this house I've snaked 3 times.
Once it was a hairball. (3 long haired women in the family)
Once it was a feminine product, everybody denied knowledge. Must have been a burglar.
Once it was grease.
If your drains clog more than occasionally, something is wrong.
On 01/02/2014 03:29 PM, TimR wrote:

It's possible there are tree roots getting in to the drain pipe but that would probably require a grinder or acid.
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:38:36 PM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

been a burglar.

I was thinking that too, especially since he has to use the main cleanout i n the basement. I'm picturing the typical Y-junction cleanout.
If he has tree roots, then his drain line needs to be replaced. You can't just keep cutting them out.
On 01/02/2014 07:35 PM, TimR wrote:

No matter what, he needs to put the cap back when done. I was concerned about sewer gas and someone else mentioned the drain could back up,,,which would fill the house with sewage.
All for being too lazy to replace the cap.

Doesn't sound like roots to me. He said it's his kitchen sink that's clogged. I think he'd be having problems everywhere if the main drain was clogged with roots.
Besides, even if it is roots, it doesn't mean that his drain line needs to be replaced.
Obviously, eliminating the source of the roots is one solution, but not always possible or desirable. However, lining the pipe using Cure In Place Piping (AKA epoxy lining) is usually much cheaper and certainly less invasive than replacement of the pipe itself.
Another option is the one I've been using to keep the roots at bay for over 3 years: RootX
http://rootx.com/homeowners
I used to get partial blockages and have to snake my sewer line about once a year. A camera showed it was roots coming from the top of a junction, Now I apply an annual treatment of RootX in late winter and haven't had any blockages - partial or otherwise - in over 3 years.
I see they also have a GreaseX product for grease elimination.
http://rootx.com/grease-x/2-lb-jars
Disclaimer: I have no connection with the RootX company other than as a satisfied customer.

Sounds great. I can put themt next to my Tarnex, Gas-X, and Kleenex.
But seriously, it does sound good.

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:35:50 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

e been a burglar.

in the basement. I'm picturing the typical Y-junction cleanout.

t just keep cutting them out.
No tree roots to worry about..I live in the city...no tree nearby. Why do p eople have to jump to conclusions. I had no idea when I posted this message that I had also include the 'whatnots'.. its an old home and the plumbing is not the typical setup whoever did it...the pipe is slanted so the water could and should run freely towards the main drain of the house, unless it gets clogged and it does get clogged now and then. So i figured the way to clean it out either with a snake or a hose, into the hole that the first pl umber i hired made. He then stuck an expansion plug. The second time he ca me around he removed that plug and did just that...so I figured i could sav e myself some bucks and do it myself, but now I heard about this water seal tape...and what about that flex seal spray that is constantly shown on TV informercials?

Ok, I'll try to be nice.
People jump to conclusions because they can't see your house from where they are sitting and there wasn't enough information in your post to eliminate the assumption that it might be roots. You said the main drain was involved and roots in the main drain can often lead to fixtures backing up. Don't take it out on those that are trying to help. That is what you came here for, isn't it?
Now, as for your question...it's been answered. Don't try tape and don't try the spray seal. You paid a plumber to fix your drain last time, right? Did he use tape? No. Did he use an As Seen On TV product? No. There are very good reasons that he didn't.
You said that what he used has "a screw and a flange and a rubber on one end". What does "a rubber on one end mean"? A rubber _what_?
Does it look like this?
http://www.columbiawatergardens.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/fernco%202.jpg
That's a Fernco coupling and is often used to seal or connect drain pipes.
Does it look something like this?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v8okOpv0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
That's an expansion plug.
BTW...Why is it that you don't want to use the plug again and are looking for a workaround?
Could you post a picture? If we had a picture, we wouldn't have to jump to as many conclusions.
You also said "the plumbing is not the typical set up". What is a "typical set up" and why is yours not "typical"? Again we can't see your house from where we're sitting so we don't know what that means.

OK, I finally figured this out, you are yanking our chains, right? Flex seal spray? Please........

bushes can clog sewer lines to. At first i dint believe that till i found the fitzer bushes roots wrapped around the house and went straight down top the sewer.
found the roots when rebuilding the retaining wall on top of the sewer line...
had to cut them all down.....
finally went t putting rock salt down the drain perodically. salt kills the roots but leaves the trees fine

Seriously? You would rather risk a waste flood in your basement because you used some moronic shortcut like tape instead of just using a proper working solution such as the plug?
Sure, go ahead and use the tape, it's not my basement.
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:29:47 PM UTC-5, Lab Lover wrote:

Just for the record, I'm not sure an rubber expansion plug is a "proper working solution" and I'd be wondering about the plumber who put it in.

On 01/03/2014 03:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Though it certainly would be better than the foolish idea of taping it up...I don't recall seeing any other than the threaded "screw-in" variety.
Besides, it would probably take more time to tape it up than to screw in a proper cover anyway.