plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

Page 2 of 2

No. The main reason people use PTFE is to lubricate the threads so that the fitting can be tightened tightly enough to provide a seal.
Additionally, the material itself, be it PTFE tape or the grease that the PTFE is suspended in, provide an additional highly viscous barrier (sealant) to any small leaks.
Jon
On 10/23/2011 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was always taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to tighten the teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it in bunches.
On 10/23/2011 12:22 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

have inverted the picture from the 1st time I looked :) Sorry for the rant.

Dunno why the artist put that full, closed roll where he did. the 'loose end' is from teh wrap around the pipe and doesn't even go with that roll.
Harry K
Working in a modern power plant for 30+ years we used nothing but teflon tape in the instrument dept. HP steam which condensed to h2o at pressures up to 3-5000 psi on our instruments, and hydraulic pressures on the turbines that approached 10,000 psi teflon was an excellent choice. Quality of np threads is essential for a secure connection. Case in point a few fittings from Lowes (made in Chine) purchased for a home plumbing job could not seal, I decided to allow the drip to seal itself as it did. Thread quality is what it's all about