Plum tree shoots driving me crazy

We have a large old plum tree in the middle of our front garden. Its shoots are growing up out of the ground all over the place within a 15 foot radius. They emerge out of the ground in the garden and also the lawn. I try to dig them up with a shovel but it is a never ending struggle. Any ideas on how I might be able to stop their growth? Thanks.

There is no way to stop these shoots coming up without killing your plum tree. I had a similar problem with poplar trees which tried to grow a new tree at every point in the lawn where I had dug out a dandelion. You will need to choose between no shoots and no plum, or live with the shoots and keep the tree.
If you decide the tree must go for the sake of your lawn, paint Roundup on the shoots and wait a week before cutting them off with the lawnmower. This will likely kill your plum tree or greatly weaken it so you will end up cutting it down.
paracelsus
Greetings,
Maybe you could place a sign in your yard: "Plum tree saplings $1 each or $5 for 10-- you dig."
Hope this helps, William