Plugging toilet problems

I have a new house which was built 9 years ago. I have had problems having toilets plugging way too often. The toilets just don't have the flushing action needed. This is happening to virtually evey toilet in the house. Is this the result of cheap builder toilets or is there something I can do to help the toilets flush better?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Don

Do they flush well if you use a bucket of water? have they always been a problem?

If so I have a likely solution:) cheap too

Reply to
hallerb

Have tried this with no help. When the toilets are flushed they flush with no force. This has always been a problem. My 6 year old and 3 year old will plus the toilet. And I know they are not flushing other things down the toilet. I have a toilet in the basement which is VERY RARELY used with the same result. Do I need to get better toilets?

Reply to
Don

So they still dont flush well even when using just a bucket of water?

Have they always been a problem?

Reply to
hallerb

Hi, Time to check vent stack? Maybe bird nest in there?

2 storey, bumgalow style house? Guess time to make a trip to the roof.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Check the vent stack but probably lousy toilets. Also don't use the most expensive Charmin..... it takes forever to dissolve.

If you decide to replace a toilet check Consumer Reports at the library. They have rated them within the last year.

Reply to
Art

It does help, if done right.

Hold a half-filled 5 gal bucket above your head and pour into drain hole. It'll provide triple the pressure of the water from the tank.

The there's the old-fashioned plunger - works well for me, too

If your turds are too big, beat 'em up with a stick before flushing, and flush before wiping (adding paper).

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

I recently moved into an almost new house and they have Toto toilets through-out. while I had to order new flappers on-line because they are bigger than standard flappers (i.e., not stocked at any local store) - the bigger hole makes these johns flush like there's no tomorrow. Could probably flush a hardball down 'em.

steve

Reply to
Steve Kulpa

Go get a super flush toilet! I bought a Vanity from American Standard. I was getting tired of double flushing and plunging. The builder probably put a $49 cheaply in. It was the best $$$ I ever spent. Kohler has one too that can flush

21 golf balls at a time ( too bad it didn't compare Lincoln logs) !
Reply to
tj

The early models of the "low flush toilets" were not well designed and presented problems like you are experiencing. You might be ahead of the game to install a new toilet and if that solves the problem, you can replace the other toilets as you see fit.

Here is information on the best makes and models available today.

file:///C:/Mystuff/HouseHints/BestLowFlushToilets.htm

MCG

Reply to
Rick Shaw

The ORIGINAL low flush toilets tended to use all the same bopwls and tanks but low level of flush water.

he might try raisining the water level in the tank to right below the dip tube, and putting in a old style flaper

the website toiletology talks about this.

Reply to
hallerb

if he used the blue or clear treatment things in tank that can cause the trouble

Reply to
hallerb

These folks have done some very thorough (and realistic) testing. =20

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

This link says they dont take into consideration NOISE:(

Excessive noise at nite is a major issue.

Frankly my NEXT toilet is coming from canada, 3 gallons or more

my current low flush toilet uses too much water when flushed 3 times for one load of solids!

Reply to
hallerb

The Gerber with sloan pressure valve are very quiet.

Reply to
Art

The later models aren't well designed either, they get around the problem by a redesign of the flushing mechanism so that if you sit there holding the flush handle down the toilet flushes much more water than if you just give the toilet handle the typical jog. I guess that meets the letter of the law in locations that require the builders to use low flush toilets, while not meeting the spirit of it.

Fortunately in our area there's hardware stores that sell used toilets, and putting a modern flushing mechanism into a 1950's era toilet gives you a pretty damn good toilet.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Interesting twist of events, huh? Will keep that in mind when I next encounter a balky toilet. Rick

Reply to
Rick Shaw

In addition to that, be sure to read owner comments of toilets on this page before you buy one:

Some toilets that test good unfortunately have numerous other problems.

That page also has a good forum.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Ah, the perils of parking your fat ass on the porcelain Pontiac.

You'll soon find yourself in deep shit.

Never by a toilet from a poker expert ... for he knows that a full house and a straight flush are impossible, at the same time.

Sorry for my bad pun. It's a bunch of crap, anyway.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~