Plugged Vent - Flush with Water?

(Almost) Every time I flush the toilet the bathtub gurgles. I suspected a plugged roof vent or stack, whatever it's called, and research verified my theory.

Now, I was ready to call a plumber, but then I got the idea to climb on the roof with the garden hose and flush the vent with water. Am I crazy or should I call the plumber?

Reply to
Box134

If you feel comfortable and safe going on the roof, I also suggest you try it, BUT, remember that if there are drains above a plug, you could find them backing up. So have someone watching any such drains and have someone watching you as well. Be safe.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Possibly, and no.

For such tasks, I have a spray gun with a threaded nozzle. I attach a washing machine hose, and now have a good controller. Stick the washing machine hose into the pipe and pack the opening with some rags. Press the trigger, and you'll feel the pressure build--sometimes a lot of pressure. Few clogs can withstand this treatment.

This has worked well with floor drains, even sinks, but I've never tried a vent pipe.

Michael When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

What kind of research verified your theory? Did you physically inspect it somehow?

If you can get (or rent) a sewer tape of any kind, I would recommend that you take both the sewer tape AND a water hose up on the roof with you. Run the tape through, as well as some water, to flush any blockage you break up, away.

Reply to
Amuzed2death

Try using a "drain king" clog cleaner. It looks like a short piece of hose that you connect to garden hose. It balloons in the middle to seal the pipe and force the water down. I don't know if this pressure would clear the clog or burst the pipe joints.

You could also bring a snake with you. Similar to sewage tape, but equally flexible in all angle.

Another idea is to use a jetter. It has like a pressure washer with a nozzle at the end of the hose. High pressure water pulses out of the nozzle.

Final idea: if you'd rather not climb the roof, you may be able to intercept the vent pipe in your attic. Just cut it there and after the repair, you can patch it back with a rubber sleeve from hardware store.

Disclaimer: I'm not certified to give plumbing advice.

Reply to
peter

Yes, you're crazy, but try it - can 't hurt, might help. If it fills with water though, remember to tell whoever finally works on it! That pipe will be HEAVY!!

Pop - I"m crazy too.

gurgles. I suspected a

research verified my

idea to climb on the

Am I crazy or

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Verified only by the typical symptoms. Any number of web sites say a blocked vent pipe will do this. I did get on the roof, without a hose, and I stuck a broomstick down the vent. Naturally, it's short, and didn't find anything in its path. I have decided to call in a plumber on this one.... mainly because the blockage might not be water soluble. God knows what may have accumulated there after 47 years!

Reply to
Box134

I'd snake out the vent line. No need to call a plumber. The snake is much cheaper.

Reply to
Childfree Scott