Plugged sink followup

Got home last night ready to try all the good suggestions. I planned on starting with the easiest so I reassembled the trap then I poured water in to fill the sink so I could plunge it. It never backed up. The digging I did with the snake must have loosened it up? Works fine now. As far as cleaning / maintenance, I'm sure the pipes are layered with slimy crud. Would just very hot water down the drain be enough? Or best to leave well enough alone?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Steve
On Jan 31, 5:45 am, "comcastss news groups"

Steve-
I use this stuff (when I remember) it keep the cast iron waste lines in my previous 50 years working.....didn't have to replacement before I sold it.
Works great on hair, soap & makeup build up......occasionally (that's what reminded me to use) had a slow drain that need a quick plunge but following w/ the Drain Care restored flow.
http://www.colehardware.com/hotline/2002/02/draincare.htm
You can get locally at HD or Ace Hardware
Zep makes a copycat (or licensed?) product
cheers Bob

So do I and it's great.
Al
Try this: 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar. Wait a minute or so and then flush with boiling hot water from your kettle. It's safe and environmentally sound. It's a natural way to keep your drains clog-free.