Plug won't come out

Page 1 of 2

I plugged in an old appliance. I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem before. I used the appliance just fine. I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out! Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen. Thanks, Cheron

Wonder if it welded itself in there somehow, or if dissimilar metals caused a fun little chemistry experiment in there.
Replacement duplex outlets are cheap enough that your fallback would be to kill the breaker, break the outlet faceplate, replace the duplex outlet, cut off the cord end and replace the cord end (paying close attention to matching the blade conductor to the right end in the unlikely event such an old appliance has a polarized cord.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a screwdriver and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case, by the way.
Charles Schuler wrote:

Aw, common. What do you suggest?
Charles Schuler wrote:

to pry out a plug before turning off the power. Duh.

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time. Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.
You'd rather post criticisms than post solutions. Typical these days. Wanker.
Just go away.
Better yet, Plonk.
Charles Schuler wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:14:54 -0500, "Charles Schuler"

Even if you are right, those odds are not good enough when you are giving advice to someone else. When turning off the power could make the odds zero.
A, you didn't tell him not to hold the metal part of the screwdriver. B, you didn't tell him there must be an insulated handle. He might decide to use a tire iron because it is longer. C, he might use a screwdriver with an insulated handle and then grip the metal while struggling. D, his other *hand* could easily touch something, not just his feet.
E, read the paper, watch the news and you'll see stories of people killed by electricity, some doing no more than this guy would.
I can see omitting telling him to turn off the fuse, but resisting twice when someone tells you to include it!

Jackass.

I assumed that was commonly understood. How much detail is reasonable? Should I have also written: "Put on your shoes before going to the panel because you could tramp on a sharp object?" Posters here know some basics. Also, posters know that free advice is worth what it costs. Give the OP some credit, you cretin. I did not say that the power should NOT be turned off!

Wow, you are really groping and grasping here. You are well beyond assinine with the above divel.

How the heck can I include it when it was already posted?

Your obnoxious ilk is so typical on Usenet these days. You have no answers, or helpful information, but you are replete with criticism for those trying to help. Jackass, indeed. Cretin.
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 18:18:21 -0500, "Charles Schuler"

That's what I figured, but instead of saying that to CJT, you argued with him twice.

You don't read well. I didn't say you should have included it after someone else did. I said you shouldn't have resisted. You should just have said what you finally did to me above.

And you could have gotten someone killed.

I only criticize when people deserve it. And you're just making up the part about my not having answers.

That is totally absurd.

And I resent your "piling on." That's adolescent playground behavior. Grow up.
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:09:11 -0500, "Charles Schuler"

I wanted you and others to know that someone agreed with CJT.
I think "piling on" is a football term. Yeah, here it is: "About Football Glossary - Piling On" From James Alder, Definition: An illegal play where several players jump on the player with the ball after he's been tackled.
But I don't think you felt that you had been tackled yet. I think as long as only CJT disagreed with you , you may well have viewed the contest as a tie. So I wasn't piling on. I was assisting in the tackle.
Charles Schuler wrote: <snip>

happen. It just seems prudent to open the breaker before messing with an outlet.
I once made the mistake of telling a mechanic - don't worry - it can go in only 1 way (on a multi-pin connector). He proved me wrong. Is it a normal plug one small side and one larger side (polarized)? Did someone force it in the wrong way - normally not possible? If so, turn breaker off ( plug a light in other part of outlet to make sure of the correct breaker) as suggested and use a screwdriver to remove. If this is what happened, you really do need to replace outlet. George

Not so much on wall outlets, but on extension cords, I often force the wide prong into a non-polarized slot. If you tip it first and get it half way in, then you can tip it back and get it in. You don't have to worry about it falling out either, like you often do with extension cords. :)

chermena wrote:

Using a 2 prong plug in a grounded outlet is fine , happens all the time in my kitchen with small appliences.
I would turn off breaker , and remove/replace the outlet. Then you can try a screwdriver to remove the plug, or break the outlet with pliers and remove the plug or whatever else you can think of to try.
Wiggling the plug up and down may loosen up something if its just stuck.
chermena wrote:

Plugging it into a switch is always a bad idea, you should have found a receptical to plug it into.
If this was alt.pets I'd suggest tossing a bucket of water on it...<G>
Jeff (Who says, "Don't try that with electrics.")
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Might still work in this case too.