Plug won't come out

I plugged in an old appliance. I put two prongs into a three prong switch - never been a problem before. I used the appliance just fine. I went to remove the plug and it will NOT come out! Any ideas?? I'm stumped as to why this would happen. Thanks, Cheron

Reply to
chermena

Wonder if it welded itself in there somehow, or if dissimilar metals caused a fun little chemistry experiment in there.

Replacement duplex outlets are cheap enough that your fallback would be to kill the breaker, break the outlet faceplate, replace the duplex outlet, cut off the cord end and replace the cord end (paying close attention to matching the blade conductor to the right end in the unlikely event such an old appliance has a polarized cord.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

It might have arced and produced a spot weld. Pry it out with a screwdriver and inspect for arcing. I'd replace the outlet in any case, by the way.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Ouch. Better cut the power before using a screwdriver that way!

Reply to
CJT

I once made the mistake of telling a mechanic - don't worry - it can go in only 1 way (on a multi-pin connector). He proved me wrong. Is it a normal plug one small side and one larger side (polarized)? Did someone force it in the wrong way - normally not possible? If so, turn breaker off ( plug a light in other part of outlet to make sure of the correct breaker) as suggested and use a screwdriver to remove. If this is what happened, you really do need to replace outlet. George

Reply to
George

Aw, common. What do you suggest?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I suggest you can electrocute yourself if you try to use a screwdriver to pry out a plug before turning off the power. Duh.

Reply to
CJT

Yeah ... right. Here is what you would have to do: Grip the metal part of the screwdriver with your left hand and ground your feet at the same time. Guess what? It still would not work in 9999 out of 10000 tries.

You'd rather post criticisms than post solutions. Typical these days. Wanker.

Just go away.

Better yet, Plonk.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Using a 2 prong plug in a grounded outlet is fine , happens all the time in my kitchen with small appliences.

I would turn off breaker , and remove/replace the outlet. Then you can try a screwdriver to remove the plug, or break the outlet with pliers and remove the plug or whatever else you can think of to try.

Wiggling the plug up and down may loosen up something if its just stuck.

Reply to
marks542004

Plugging it into a switch is always a bad idea, you should have found a receptical to plug it into.

If this was alt.pets I'd suggest tossing a bucket of water on it...

Jeff (Who says, "Don't try that with electrics.")

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I don't mind being plonked by fools.

Reply to
CJT

Electrocution would certainly be unlikely, but shorting the circuit could happen. It just seems prudent to open the breaker before messing with an outlet.

Reply to
Toller

Might still work in this case too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Even if you are right, those odds are not good enough when you are giving advice to someone else. When turning off the power could make the odds zero.

A, you didn't tell him not to hold the metal part of the screwdriver. B, you didn't tell him there must be an insulated handle. He might decide to use a tire iron because it is longer. C, he might use a screwdriver with an insulated handle and then grip the metal while struggling. D, his other *hand* could easily touch something, not just his feet.

E, read the paper, watch the news and you'll see stories of people killed by electricity, some doing no more than this guy would.

I can see omitting telling him to turn off the fuse, but resisting twice when someone tells you to include it!

Jackass.

Reply to
mm

Not so much on wall outlets, but on extension cords, I often force the wide prong into a non-polarized slot. If you tip it first and get it half way in, then you can tip it back and get it in. You don't have to worry about it falling out either, like you often do with extension cords. :)

Reply to
mm

I assumed that was commonly understood. How much detail is reasonable? Should I have also written: "Put on your shoes before going to the panel because you could tramp on a sharp object?" Posters here know some basics. Also, posters know that free advice is worth what it costs. Give the OP some credit, you cretin. I did not say that the power should NOT be turned off!

Wow, you are really groping and grasping here. You are well beyond assinine with the above divel.

How the heck can I include it when it was already posted?

Your obnoxious ilk is so typical on Usenet these days. You have no answers, or helpful information, but you are replete with criticism for those trying to help. Jackass, indeed. Cretin.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

That's what I figured, but instead of saying that to CJT, you argued with him twice.

You don't read well. I didn't say you should have included it after someone else did. I said you shouldn't have resisted. You should just have said what you finally did to me above.

And you could have gotten someone killed.

I only criticize when people deserve it. And you're just making up the part about my not having answers.

Reply to
mm

That is totally absurd.

And I resent your "piling on." That's adolescent playground behavior. Grow up.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

You plugged it into a ***SWITCH*** ????????

Assuming you meant and outlet, I bet it welded itself in there. If this is a heating type appliance that sucks lots of power, it's very likely welded in there. I have had that happen a couple times now.

Shut off the power to that outlet, and shake - wiggle - rock - pull - and beat the crap out of it with your fist. Either it will come out intact, or the plug or outlet will break. Let em' break. You really need to replace both the outlet and the plug when you are finished.

If all the banging and motion wont get it out. cut the plug off the appliance cord, break the outlet cover until you can get to the outlet screws, and remove the outlet. Replace the outlet, the outlet cover plate, and the plug. Final cost, under $10 for parts, and hour or two of labor, (less for someone with experience), and an undisclosed number of cuss words.

Reply to
Me &

I wanted you and others to know that someone agreed with CJT.

I think "piling on" is a football term. Yeah, here it is: "About Football Glossary - Piling On" From James Alder, Definition: An illegal play where several players jump on the player with the ball after he's been tackled.

But I don't think you felt that you had been tackled yet. I think as long as only CJT disagreed with you , you may well have viewed the contest as a tie. So I wasn't piling on. I was assisting in the tackle.

Reply to
mm