plug-in "permanent" house wiring

Page 1 of 3
Greetings,
I have two computers, one in the basement and one on the third floor, which I would like to run off the same plug-in UPS (expensive, so I don't want to purchase another one). There is already conduit going up to the third floor. What do I need to properly (to-code) install a UPS protected outlet on the third floor which shares the plug-in UPS in the basement? Is there a code-compliant solution? Are you allowed to plug a cord into a UPS which goes into a junction box, is spliced to THHN, and then into the house wiring?
Thank you for your time, William
PS: I am not asking for instructions on how to install an outlet. The outlet that the UPS plugs into in the basement is already GFI protected. There are enough spare cubic inches in the box to support an additional device and wiring.
Assuming you only want the UPS to attach to one dedicated outlet on the third floor. You could install a junction box on the existing conduit with a three wire cord set to plug into the UPS, then attach those wires to three conductors going through the existing conduit to the third floor, then from another junction box up there, run those conductors to the PC outlet using whatever wiring method is acceptable in your jurisdiction. This is all contingent on having spare room in the conduit

Greetings,
Thank you but there are other issues?: When someone turns off the main breaker there will still be a live outlet in the attic. Aren't there additional rules about such things?
Does the three wire cord set have to have special properties? a) Wire must be no more than X feet long? b) Wire must be of special type?
When I am done using the setup (years from now) can I simply plug the cord set into a basement receptacle?
Thanks again, William
You could be correct. I'm seeing this as something of a temporary setup. I would assume that when your done with it, you'd simply reconnect the outlet as it was.

In your first post you said "third floor". In your second you said "attic".
Since you seem to be concerned about safety, I'm curious about your use of the attic. Will your proposed use meet codes as far as egress, other electrical wiring, etc? While I commend you for tying to hook up the UPS in a complaint manner, will it be the only code compliant item in the space?

The third floor is a converted attic. There is a full staircase, drywall, tile floor, recessed lights, two dormers, 7' ceiling (with sloped side walls) etc.
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

For all the trouble, I'd just get another UPS box. UPS is good when power failure ocurs, as a protector it won't do much if lightning strikes. I have seen it many time in my working days(~40 years in the field)

Nothing in your list of amenities tells us anything about whether it meets the applicable codes for the space. I'm not saying it does or doesn't...only you can tell us that. I was merely pointing out that you are be very diligent as per the running of this particular circuit, which made me curious about how compliant the rest of the space was.
You should also check to see that he gets enough fiber!!

snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

The additional rules are that the receptacle outlet and the equipment served should be labeled as having more than one source of supply.
The cord may be of any length you find convenient but cords longer then six feet are generally frowned on for permanent use.
If you do what I suggested in my other reply you will simply throw the switch to the non alternate power position and walk away. -- Tom Horne

This is a great way to "clean up" after the project concludes. I will reply in your other post.
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

It will cost more to run another wire from the basement to the stars than the $75 for a UPS.

UPS was $800-- it's all rack mount equipment.
HeyBub wrote:

I'm pretty sure copper prices aren't that high yet, but yes, while a central UPS is nice, with today's UPS prices distributed UPSes are more practical.

A new UPS for the third floor would cost $300-400, consume additional electricity, and take up space. Then I would have to replace the batteries in both of them every few years at an increased cost instead of just the one. The upstairs UPS, replacement batteries, and power consumption (including cooling power) would probably come to $750 or more over its lifetime. If a 42U rack costs $1000 delivered then just the space in the rack the new UPS would take up could be considered to cost $100. The dual-UPS solution is NOT the most economical solution.
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Yes it is.
HeyBub wrote:

I was going to ask for the math on that but that would be feeding a troll. -- Tom Horne
snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

one or two PCs to control the server farm you seem to be keeping in the basement, one of the <$200 baby UPS units will be fine.
I'm no UPS expert, but IIRC, there is a limit to how far the load can be from the electronics, and still be considered protected.
aem sends...

I don't know. I"ve heard that electricity travels at the speed of light.
Of course that would be the speed of light in copper. I held a lamp up to; one side of a copper sheet, and it hasn't gotten through to the other side yet. Should I wait another hour?

[snip]

[snip]
That reminds me of "slow glass" which is physically the same as regular glass, but optically it's 10 light-years thick. When you look into it you see what was on the other side 10 years ago. :-)

Mark Lloyd