Please reply if you have had problems with Photocell E127584.

replying to Tony Hwang, denniszink wrote: Yes, having problem with photo cell. Any help on where to get a replacement?

Reply to
denniszink

replying to bob haller, FrankieV wrote: You state that you have several of 'these' to re;place E127584. I have five outdoor light fixtures that use this photocell. If you know this part, you are aware the it is mounted through a small hole with a threaded cap. Does your part fit have the same dimensions as E127584 so that it can be a direct replacement? Can you provide a picture with dimensions (a data sheet)?

Reply to
FrankieV

I have four street lamp posts, about 5 years old, and one of the E127584 photocells was losing sensitivity, turning the lamp on when overcast, but still mid-day.

Reply to
jimtassanoid

Check to see if the plastic lenses on the photocell has discolored from UV rays. This has happened to a couple of my photocells and I used plastic headlight polishing compound on them and that did the trick.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

replying to Molly Brown, T wrote: Yes. This photocell did not last. Now I am not sure how to purchase a photocell that will fit. Or do Inhsve to buy a whole new light fixture.

replying to Molly Brown, Sam wrote: Just installed 3 lights with E127584. A slight power surge ( turn circuit breaker off then back on ) burnt up all three .

Reply to
Sam

replying to denniszink, Dan wrote: I have the same problem with the replacement for the photocell. I sent an e mail to Progress Lighting the company that sells the patio lights with photocell assembly and still waiting for their response.

Reply to
Dan

I USED to have photocells burn out all the time.........it was a real PIA....

one day i saw the photocell turn on the poll light, which instantly the light went white hot and burned out a new bulb didnt help.........

i replaced the photo cell and a new LED bulb/.

that ended to burned out photocell trouble:)

the high inrush current of incandescent would take out the light sensors. I was so tired of this hassle i thought about adding a power relay to feed the bulb

but the LED bulbs dont burn out and use nearly no power

Reply to
bob haller

Fed up. I took?em off, back to a good old handswitch !

Reply to
craiout

replying to Molly Brown, Ray D wrote: Greetings, my photocell of that model caught fire last week. It had been in use approximately 8 years.

Reply to
Ray D

replying to Molly Brown, reubweis wrote: One of my E127584 photocells shorted

Reply to
reubweis

replying to Molly Brown, reubweis wrote: One of my E127584 photocells shorted

Reply to
reubweis

I had problems with mine and they are used at a storage Facility. Poor quality.

Reply to
868wbc

replying to Molly Brown, Mike wrote: yes, have one now that's bad

Reply to
Mike

Mike-

This thread has been continued since February, 2012.

Among the suggestions, replacing the lamp's bulb with a low powered equivalent (LED or CFL) is part of the solution. I chose LED over incandescent, but am still using my original Halogen outdoor light. The bulb is 17 years old and the photocell was recently replaced for the first time.

When replacing your photocell, you may have to take what you can find that fits the E127584 mount.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Condo has 24 exterior lights with this photocell in them. Installed about 4 years ago. So far five photocells have failed. I don’t know the expect lifetime is for photocells but thought it would be longer than that.

Reply to
dbulatek

Sounds about right. There may be higher quality ones available, but any that I bought from a big box store never went more than about 5 or 6 years.

Given the failures so far and potential for more, I'd certainly look for an industrial grade.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not really. One out of two that you are aware of failed. How may others have? If it is the only failure out of 100,000 then it is not so bad.

Take a quick course in statistics and probability and you will see it proves nothing other than one has failed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Molly Brown, Pete wrote: Yes I do have a problems with E127584 because I can't find the right size so that it will fix inside the hole where it goes. The one at homedepot are a little wider and longer. I try to find the original but I'm unable to find it.

Reply to
Pete

Yes I have a problem with E127584. Stopped working after 2 months use.

Reply to
lbc1974