Please recommend hand tools brands

Page 2 of 2
varois83 wrote:

Right now my local HD has a set of about 110 screwdrivers for $20.00.
I got a set. Sold the square tipped ones (six) on Ebay for $4 + $4 shipping. So a usable set of screwdrivers (104) cost me, net, about $13.00.
Perfectly adequate screwdrivers for normal or computer type work. The nice thing about the set was it didn't have those goddamn "stubby" models.
varois83 wrote:

It also depends on the use. For example, a set of 12 foam brushes from Harbor Freight ($3) will work just as well as the kind that cost $1 each. A $4 crowbar from the same place is just as functional as the $30 model at the tool store.
HeyBub wrote:

For pliers I prefer Klein or Channellock, for wrenches, sockets and such stick with Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky (more expensive pro stuff really is better but more expensive; anything cheaper you'll be disappointed in.) Screwdrivers - well I really don't have any good ones. I have Craftsman and I'm really disappointed in them. Lifetime warranty is nice, but I seem to trade in 2-3 of them every 6 mos. or so. One Torx driver spun the handle the very first time I tried to use it and no I was not using a socket on the handle, just turning it with my hand. I'm not weak but I shouldn't be able to spin the handle on a T-15 torx. Especially when I'm just popping the top off a carburetor.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Harbor Freight, not for quality plus its mail order, local is better, HD maybe, HDs ridgid line is lifetime warranty on cordless drills and batteries, they might have a good hand tool line up.

It's nice to buy tools on sale and I have also got some great deals at garage sales and contractor going out of business sales. Check Craigslist periodically. One thing I have realized over the years is to not buy too many tools until you actually need them. When I was much younger I would buy tools just in case I might need them or because they were a on sale. I can't tell you how many socket sets and wrenches I own that I have actually never used, but it is a lot. You should also think about tool storage and tool security. Tools disappear quickly when they are out in the open.
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:26:33 -0700 (PDT), varois83

"Made in USA" is better than "Made in China."